Chapter Twenty Nine

It has been three hours since they arrived at the hospital and Erin is currently seated in a hospital bed while Thomas is undergoing a shoulder examination. During this time, her thoughts wander to various places.

About an hour ago, the brunette underwent her own examination and the doctors informed her that she is fortunate to only have a few broken ribs and bruising on her face and stomach. She expresses concern as they explain that they need to monitor her due to the actions of Jack. Erin bites her lip, attempting to clear her mind of these thoughts.

Now, Erin is anxiously waiting to be discharged from the hospital so she can retrieve Soifon and bring her back home. She plans to reprimand the raven-haired woman for causing worry and distress.

"Rest assured, Soifon, once I am released from this hospital, I will come and get you." Erin whispers, gripping her blankets tightly as she contemplates the idea of attempting to escape from the hospital.

Erin was preparing to rise from the bed when Voight and Justin entered the room carrying a tray of food. Upon seeing them, Erin let out a sigh and reclined back in the bed, crossing her arms over her chest. She demanded, in a stern tone and with a narrowed gaze, 'How much longer must I wait to be released?'

Before anyone had a chance to respond, Voight placed the tray beside her bed, irritating the brunette even further. 'How much longer, Hank?' she demanded of her foster father once again. 'Sit and wait until the doctor gives you permission to leave,' Voight stated as he approached her bed and took a seat at her feet, with Justin occupying the other end.

Erin's frustration grew as Voight simply instructed her to wait. 'I cannot wait for the doctor's approval. Soifon is still out there, and anything could happen while we idly sit around,' she argued, her patience reaching its limit. Justin attempted to intervene, urging her to calm down, but his foster sister cut him off with a stern, green-eyed glare. 'Are you telling me to calm down?'

Erin glanced at Justin, then shifted her gaze to Voight. "Please refrain from telling me to calm down while my girlfriend is in distress," she growled. With frustration, she swung her legs over the bed and placed her feet on the cold, hard floor, attempting to stand up.

However, Voight forcefully pushed her back onto the bed, causing the brunette to turn her head and glare at her foster father. "What on earth is going on?" she hissed. "Didn't you just hear me? I don't have the luxury of sitting here all day."

Voight maintained his stern gaze. "As I previously mentioned, you must wait for the doctor," he ordered. "We will retrieve Soifon once you are discharged, and if the medical staff insists that you stay, you will have no choice but to remain here." Ignoring Erin's glare, he continued, "The team and I will go get Soifon, and I implore you not to argue any further. Furthermore, becoming agitated will not expedite her recovery." Voight's tone softened as he conveyed his message.

Erin looked away, choosing to listen to Voight, though she didn't particularly want to hear his speech. Despite her resistance, she understood that he made a valid point. "But you don't understand," she whispered.

"You do not comprehend the gravity of the situation," she reiterated, her verdant gaze fixed on her trembling hands. "I bear the responsibility for Soifon's absence. I should have pursued her after ensuring Thomas's safety in the woods. I should have dissuaded her from embarking on her solitary expedition." She murmured, burying her face in her palms, tears streaming down her face.

Voight's countenance twisted with concern as he absorbed his foster daughter's words. He understood the weight of her guilt, acknowledging his own failure in locating them earlier. Placing a hand on Erin's lap to capture her attention, he leaned in closer.