Chapter 19.3: A Ritual to be Grounded - Chasing

Azhure: Just finished mid-terms.

Voice: Enjoy!

---

Richard, what's the status of the cultists on your end? (Darc)

They are going straight to the other cultists... Oh, they caught up to them. Also, I spotted Jillianis. (Richard)

Do you even need to state that, Lazulian? (Jill)

I am just giving a report... (Richard)

Shut up, idiot! (Jill)

Continue following them. (Darc)

Alicia chuckled over their exchange as Darc cut them off, moving the artificial shadow he was in, with Alicia in tow. Speaking of which, being inside the shadow, officially named [Carpet], of the Dark Guardian was an odd experience for her. When Alicia sank into the shadow with Darc, it was like going down on an elevator while being able to see what was outside or standing on an unsafe platform lowering down, into the ground. There wasn't much resistance either, like standing on a giant jelly and gradually drowning in it as the soft confection couldn't take the pressure concentrating on her two feet.

Then traveling inside the shadow was another thing entirely. For one thing, Alicia couldn't even move a muscle. While she was submerged in darkness, she could still see clearly the outside world. And she wasn't constantly looking up either, her vision was as if she was still on the ground while feeling her immobile body underground. In fact, she could see in 360 degrees and even see Darc's [Carpet] moving and herself being held by the robe by Darc, who could stretch his muscles unlike her, but not his hold of her.

How unfair!

Ignoring Voice's remark, Alicia focuses on the task at hand, even though she couldn't even break a leg to do so, literally. As the four cultists silently trotted into the dark alleyway, the Court Wizards followed, or in Alicia and Darc's case, just directly moved right at the end of the corridor - now Alicia knew Darc's Personal Skill was technically teleportation magic which sounded even more powerful at night as he could essentially appear anywhere at will.

Can he even go through the thin silhouette of a string? Alicia wondered.

Anyway, the cultists were now stuck in a problem: they were at the end of the alleyway and had to cross the next street. They had crossed the previous one that Jill staked out just fine as it was quieter, but this street was much, much busier. With an unconscious child, their black robe would make them deer stuck in headlights.

We're done. (Jonathan)

Woah! That was quick!

...Eh, we're just getting everyone out of there. The firefighters will put out the fire. (Owen)

The guards came. I had revealed myself, we're fine now. (Jonathan)

Did you give them the message? (Darc)

Yes, I did. (Jonathan)

---

"Jonathan had already told the king about this," Aqua explained. "After this briefing, he will inform him of our plan to deal with this so he can get the knights ready. We will still need to tell the knights again once we begin the mission."

---

Focusing back on the cultists, they stood still for a moment, but Alicia was sure they were chanting something. Sure enough, the cultists slowly disappeared from the bottom up and turned invisible. However, as she looked closely, she could tell the shimmers in the air indicating their presence though once in a thick crowd, they'd go unnoticeable unless one already trained their eyes on them. As the vibration in the air began to move, Darc's shadow followed. Being on a busy street, a shadow without anyone casting would similarly go unnoticed.