69: desperation

you held onto your apartment keys in your pocket as you followed ren to his car. your fingers traced over your bike keychain repetitively, helping soothe some of the anxiety and anger bubbling within you.

"we'll first go to my office building to discuss the plan and proceed from there." he said, turning to give you a graceful smile.

you met his stare, your lips mirroring his as you walked through the exit of the cemetery.

"sounds good."

silence fell between you while you finished the journey to his car and got in the passenger seat. he drove a black mercedes, a type of car you hadn't been in before but whatever model he had screamed luxury.

you tried to pay attention to where you were going as he drove, but eventually there were so many turns you lost your sense of direction. you were still in the city, but you weren't sure exactly where.

about fifteen minutes later, you pulled up in front of an office building. taking a glance around, you saw you were in a well populated area. when you went in with him, you saw a female receptionist sitting behind a desk who he greeted before heading back.

"can i get you tea or coffee, y/n?" he offered.

you gave him a polite smile and shook your head.

"i'm good, but thanks."

"are you sure? we have this great herbal tea that was recently imported from england." he said.

"while that's impressive, i'm fine." you told him.

"well if you do change your mind, please let me know and we'll make you a cup."

"thanks."

you walked down the hallway to get to his office. he opened the door and allowed you to go in first. you could feel his eyes on your back as you went to sit down in the seat across from his desk.

upon first glance, his office was more organized as you thought it would be. everything meticulously filed and put in place. even the few things he did have on his desk were all neatly lined up in a row.

it was on brand with the persona you developed for him in your mind.

your eyes wandered to the coat rack in his office, noticing there was a camera bag hanging off it.

he walked past you a second later, your head swiveling back to him. he unbuttoned his suit jacket as he sat down at his desk chair and took your phone out of his pocket. you managed to get a better look at the metal case he put your phone in.

probably a faraday cage, you assumed.

he sure is careful.

"now that we're in a secure place, i can tell you i'm a private investigator. i often work with the police, and that's how i got the information i will be sharing with you." he started.

"alright, so what do you know?" you sat back in your seat to observe him carefully.

"you always want to jump straight to the good parts, y/n." he laughed.

"you seem like a busy man. i'd hate to waste your time." you flashed him a wide smile.

"i am never too busy for you." he replied, giving you a wink. "do you want to exchange information and decide how to proceed? i'm willing share first."

"sure." you nodded. you crossed your legs one over the other, waiting for him to start.

"let's start from the beginning then. have you seen then the police report on his death?" he asked, leaning his elbows onto the desk as his intense stare bored into yours.