Chapter 4- Not Four, But Five Victims

The town is gathered for Jonathan Masbath's funeral. Steenwych stands at the open grave, reading from the Bible. Young Masbath stands close to the grave with a sad look on his face, but is trying to stay strong. Ichabod and Y/n stand together with solemn looks on their faces and glance around.

Y/n glances at Brom and Katrina, who is wiping her tears away, Brom saw this, so he puts his arm around Katrina comforting her. She felt a presence close to her and saw Ichabod closer than before.

When the funeral ended, people headed out from the cemetery. Steenwyck patted Young Masbath and walked past the duo with a side-eye. The duo looks at Young Masbath for the last time before leaving. 

Young Masbath looks at them and runs to catch up with them. "Mister Constables, sirs." They both stop and turn around.

"You're Young Masbath." Ichabod says.

"I was Young Masbath, but now the only one. Masbath, at your service. In honor bound to avenge my father." Masbath says.

"Well, one and only Masbath, We thank you very much, but your mother will need you more than us." Ichabod says trying to let him down easily.

"My mother is in heaven, sir. She has my father now to care for her. But you two have no one to serve you. I am your man, sir." Masbath tries to convince the two.

"Yes, and a brave one, too. But we cannot be the ones to look after you. I'm sorry for your loss, young Mr. Masbath." Ichabod pats Masbath on the shoulder and Y/n pats him on the head.

They walked a couple of steps before Philipse stopped them. "Constable Crane. Constable L/n."

"Mr. Philipse?" 

"Something you should know. Jonathan Masbath was not the fourth victim, but the fifth." Philipse says taking off his wig.

"The fifth?" Ichabod exclaims.

"Aye. Five victims in four graves." Philipse sees that Steenwyck is looking at them and walks away from the duo. They turn to the cemetery to see three more graves that looked like they were buried recently. Ichabod looks at Y/n and she nods at him.

"Young Masbath. Find a place in the Van Tassel's servants' quarters. Wake me before dawn. I hope you have a strong stomach." Ichabod says.

~~~

At night, they are back in the cemetery and walking past open coffins that contain headless corpses. 

"Peter Van Garrett. Dirk Van Garrett. Johnathan Masbath. There are five victims, four graves." Ichabod whispers to Y/n. They turned to see two men carrying a coffin out of the grave and walked towards them. They open the lid to reveal the last corpse.

"The Widow Winship." Ichabod covers his nose so the stench doesn't make him sick and they both kneel on each side of the coffin to have a better look. Y/n reaches in and moves a piece of cloth to reveal a sword stab in the belly. They looked at each other having the same thought.

~~~

Doctor Lancaster is in his office finishing up work when suddenly the door busts open and Killian along with another man carries the Widow's coffin inside. Ichabod, Y/n, and Young Masbath follow after and walk to the operating table.

"This is most irregular, Constables." Doctor Lancaster says.

"I should hope so, Doctor, but in this case, necessary. We need to operate immediately." The two men lift the corpse out of the coffin and onto the table.

"Operate? She's dead." Doctor Lancaster says in an obvious tone.

"When we say "operate" we mean, of course, We will need the operating table." Ichabod takes out different types of tools out of his bag and sets them down on the table. "Once more, the neck wound cauterized. The sword thrust to the stomach, the same. But to what purpose?"

"To what is your purpose is the question. What manner of instruments are these?" Doctor Lancaster picks up one of the tools examining it.

"Some of my own design." He grabs the tool back and Killian looks at it, making him feel self-conscious about it. "All right, then. Step outside, Young Masbath. Thank you very, very much for your help, Mr. Killian. And if you don't mind, Doctor, my concentration, along with my partner, suffers greatly when I'm observed." He pushes the men out of the door and closes it behind him.

~~~

Outside, Young Masbath sits on the steps waiting and the five men from the party wait outside after Doctor Lancaster told them what the Constables found.

~~~

Inside, Ichabod puts on a pair of glasses, while Y/n takes off her hat and walks to stand next to Ichabod to help guide him. The reason for making the room empty is to hide the fact that Y/n is a woman and to also hide the fact that he is still learning how to dissect a person.

"Are you sure you still want to do it? I can do it and you would just have to look since I know you get queasy when looking at the sight of blood." Y/n questions.

" I'm sure. Also, I have a great teacher to guide me if I get stuck." Ichabod reassures her and picks up a knife. He looked through a Human Anatomy book to help refer to it and took a deep breath. He cuts into the belly and blood squirts out making him blink rapidly. 

"Don't get too close to the body and cut in too deep since you can damage the tissue around it." Y/n says taking out a napkin and wiping off the blood on the glasses. Ichabod nodded and went back to cutting.

Throughout the operation, Y/n would show Ichabod how to do it when he got stuck and answer some questions he had. Sometimes when Y/n would take over, Ichabod looks at her instead of the corpse and just admires her, even when blood would get on her, he thinks she is the most beautiful person he ever met. And when Y/n would look at him, he would act like he was paying attention when he was not. That is also another reason why he is still learning.

~~~

Time has passed and the door opens to reveal Ichabod and Y/n, who are in disguise, covered in blood. The men turn around and are horrified at what they are looking at.

"We are finished." Ichabod says holding a bloody cloth.

"What in the name of God have you done to her?" Steenwych says sternly. 

"We are dealing with a madman." Ichabod concludes.

"What did you find out, Constables?" Philipse says half-drunk.

"The Widow Winship was with child." Everyone was in shock at the discovery.

~~~