Chapter 5- The Dream

It's late at night, a pale moonlight covers the town and a light fog creeps around. Silence covers the town and the only thing you can hear is the hoof-stomps of Gunpowder and Shadow. Ichabod and Y/n are riding their horses across a bridge and Ichabod is lost in thought. Y/n sees this and gets closer to put her hand on top of his, this captures his attention, and looks at her seeing a small smile saying "It's okay."

They both heard a sound and they both stopped to turn around to see who it was, but they saw no one. They looked around till they saw a toad jump off a rock and into the river making the sound the stop. They shake it off and let the horses know to keep walking and after a couple of steps, they heard a horse neighing and walking making them stop. They slowly turned around, but once again they saw nothing.

"Who's there?" Ichabod calls out and on cue, a black horse walks into view, on top a dark figure headless holding a pumpkin. Panic kicks in and they whip the horse's reins making them take off. The figure takes off following them.

They run into the forest, Ichabod leading them and Y/n following as close as possible. They turned around to see the headless figure gaining on them, thus making them go faster.

Ichabod stops to turn to look and Y/n stops suddenly on the side to not hit him. The headless figure throws the pumpkin that's lit up with a face and it smashes into Ichabod that sends him to the ground.

The headless figure rides past them and disappears into the forest. Y/n gets off Shadow and rushes to Ichabod who is shaken and in shock. She kneels down to check for any kind of injuries, but sees nothing.

~~~

The headless figure rides till it's a good distance away and halts. Two men appear and the "headless figure" throws off his cloak to reveal Brom. He smiles at the two men and they all laugh, happy that their prank work.

~~~

Ichabod and Y/n turn when they hear laughing and figure that it was a prank. Still, Ichabod is trembling and passed out with fear. Y/n sees this and tries to wake him, but nothing works, Ichabod is passed out, but has the same dream ever since he was little.

"Ichabod. Ichabod." A woman's voice is heard.

A woman is turning around with a blindfold on and in a garden with cherry blossom trees with a white fence. A young boy, Ichabod, around the age of 7 walks towards her. The woman grabs the little boy's face, kneels, and kisses his cheek. 

She takes off the blindfold to reveal she is Ichabod's Mother and sees the little boy holding flowers in his hand. She smiles and smells them.

~~~

In the kitchen, Ichabod's Mother motions him to follow her, and once she is close to the fire, she throws the flowers in it. As the flowers burn, the fumes come out and she inhales it, having her eyes closed in a trance. Young Ichabod watches her as she picks up a stick and starts using it to draw strange designs in the ash.

When the smoke is left up, Ichabod's Father walks in with a stone-cold look on his face.

~~~

A knock is heard at the door and Ichabod's Mother opens it to reveal a young lady with a little girl on her side, the little girl being Y/n. Young Ichabod smiled when he saw her and went to grab her hand to lead her inside. The two women smiled at the interaction and Y/n's Mother said her goodbyes.

~~~

It's a stormy night and both children are in Ichabod's bed, both of them having the blanket covering half their faces. Ichabod's Mother pulls out a Bird-in-Cage Spinning Disc Toy that helps the children calm down with a smile on their faces.