Chapter 12- Church

Lady Van Tassel is picking up different kinds of flowers till she is disturbed by Baltus who comes riding his horse. "Come on, hurry up. The meeting bell started tolling." He tells his wife.

Baltus suddenly becomes scared when he sees the Headless Horseman behind Lady Van Tassel. The Horseman takes out his sword when approaching Lady Van Tassel and swings it.

~~~

People enter the Chuch while the bell rings, Steenwyck helping them in.  A couple of buildings away, Ichabod, Y/n, and Young Masbath watch the town people heading into the Church. Baltus comes charging on his horse.

"The Horseman!" People quickly started to enter the church and Katrina went the opposite to meet her father.

"Katrina!"

"Father?"

"The Horseman! Save me!" Baltus gets off his horse to meet Katrina. "He killed her. The Horseman killed your stepmother."

Behind him, the cry of Daredevil is heard and the Horseman rides into town. Baltus pulls Katrina into the church and the trio runs into the Church to be safe.

Inside the Church, everyone is screaming and finding their family making sure they are safe. Different men load up their guns getting ready to shoot the Horseman. 

Baltus pushes through people while Katrina follows him. Steenwyck suddenly grabs Baluts by the collar. "You'll kill us all! You're the one the Horseman wants."

When Katrina saw Steenwyck grab Baltus, she kneeled to the ground and started drawing with her eyes closed. Ichabod and Y/n look out the window to see the Horseman trying to go into the church, but some force is keeping him out. He throws his axe to the ground to see it degrade.

"He cannot enter." Ichabod whispers to Y/n, holding her hand and making sure she stays by his side.

"Over here!" One of the men yells and Ichabod pulls Y/n to the side when the two men stand by the window, breaking it, and begin firing. 

"Why should we die to you." Steenwyck yells at Baltus when Ichabod and Y/n approach them. "The Horseman cannot enter. He cannot cross the gate." Ichabod explains.

"We have to save ourselves." Suddenly, Baltus grabs Ichabod's pistol from his holster and pushes the two Constables onto the bench. "The next person that lays a hand on me will get a bullet!"

"Enough have died already. It's time to confess our sins." Doctor Lancaster entervins.

"What is it that you know?" Baltus asked.

"Your four friends played you false. We were devilishly possessed by one who..." Steenwych grabs a heavy cross from the wall and hits Doctor Lancaster's head. Baluts fires hitting Steenwyck in the stomach.

Katrina rises to her feet and stands in horror. Some of the townsmen started to go after Baltus and he backed away. "Get out of my way! Stand back! Stand back!

~~~

The Horseman grabs the rope left outside and breaks off a piece of the fence. He ties the two together making a harpon.

~~~

"There is a conspiracy here, and I will shake it out." Then the makeshift harpon crashes through the window and skewers Baltus from behind. He gasp trying to scream or say anything. Katrina screams in horror and Baltus gets pulled from the window.

The Horseman pulls Baltus till his head in between the fence and the ground. Y/n and Ichabod stand on each side of Katrina, looking out the window to see the Horseman cut Baltus's head off with his sword. Katrina fainted and Y/n was able to catch her and gently lower her to the ground.

Y/n looks down to see a pink chalk fall out of Katrina's hand. She stands up and Ichabod points to the center of the church where an Evil Eye is drawn. 

~~~

Katrina lies down in her bed, looking peaceful for the first time. Y/n and Ichabod stand at the side of her bed, looking down at her with worry.

"It was an evil spirit possessed you. I pray God it is satisfied now, and that you find peace. The evil eye's done its work. I hope you can forgive me and maybe someday our paths can cross again. Goodbye, Katrina." Y/n says and she walks up to Katrina and kisses her on the forehead. Ichabod grabs Y/n hand and gives her a small smile.

They walked to the kitchen fireplace and Y/n opened her ledger, inside are drawings of different places and people she met. A silent tear runs down her face and she throws the ledger into the fire. Ichabod takes out the book Katrina gave them and gives it to Y/n. She grabs it and looks at it while Ichabod hugs her.

They looked out the window when they heard the coach arrive and gather their things together. They walk out onto the porch with Young Masbath following them.

"You think it was Katrina, don't you?" He questions.

Ichabod and Y/n turn their head to look at him. "That can never be uttered." Ichabod says.

"A strange sort of witch, with a kind and loving heart. How can you think so?"

"We have a good reason." Y/n says.

"Then you are bewitched by reason."

"We are beaten down by it!" Ichabod snaps. The driver walks up to them and grabs their bags. "It is a hard lesson for a hard world, and you had better learn it, Young Masbath. Villainy wears many masks. None so dangerous as the mask of virtue." They look at Young Masbath and Y/n's heart slightly breaks seeing his eyes gather tears.

Ichabod pats his shoulder and right after Y/n hugs him, "Farewell." She whispers. They walk to the coach and look at the house once more before they get in. Ichabod helps Y/n into the coach and he gets right after closing the door behind him.

~~~

Katrina wakes up and looks around wondering where she is. Once figured out, she gets up and walks to the window. She sees the coach leaving and a heartbroken expression washes on her face.

~~~

Y/n is leaning on Ichabod's shoulder with a sad and tired expression. Ichabod grabs the spinning disk and starts spinning it, trying to help cheer both of them, but it doesn't help much.

They pass Doctor Lancaster's office to see a flat cart, which holds the headless corpse of Lady Van Tassel. They look at the corpse and they see the gashed palm on one of the hands, when two picked up the body.

They returned to their positions and Ichabod once again started spinning the disk. Y/n thinks of what she saw and starts thinking about the past few days. She sits up and grabs the book, opening it to the page of the drawing of the Evil Eye. She looks at the page and gasps.

This caught Ichabod's attention and when he looked he saw the same thing. On top of the page is written "For The Protection of a Loved One Against Evil Spirits." They look at each with the same conclusion that they made a huge mistake.

Ichabod slides down the window a sticks his head out, "Van Ripper, turn the coach."

"What?" 

"Turn around now!" 

~~~

The coach stops in front of Doctor Lancaster's office and the two get off in a hurry. Ichabod knocks on the door and an older woman opens the door. The two rush past her, "Pardon our intrusion."

They walk into the Medical room and there are two coffins. They each threw the lids off the coffins and saw the bodies of Baltus and Lady Van Tassel. Ichabod grabs Lady Van Tassel's hand and examines the cut on it.

"No blood flow, no clotting, no healing. When this cut was made, the woman was already dead." Ichabod states.

~~~

Katrina sits in the parlor, her mind occupied with millions of thoughts circling around. She hears footsteps behind her and she gasps. Lady Van Tassel walks out of the shadows.

"Dear stepdaughter..." Katrina stands terrified. "you look as if you've seen a ghost." Katrina faints and Lady Van Tassel smirks.

~~~