Chapter 6- It's Real

In the Early Morning, Ichabod, Katrina, and Y/n come upon the ruins of a cottage. There is almost nothing left, but parts of the structure and parts of a chimney. Ichabod and Y/n dismount and help Katrina down due to her dress and before Ichabod lets go, she notices the little scars on his palm and examines them.

"These are strange. These markings, what are they?" Katrina asks.

"I've had them since I can remember." Ichabod answers smiling at her. "They are interesting aren't they. He had them since we were little kids." Y/n says also looking at his hands.

Katrina lets go and "enters" the ruin with the duo following right behind her. Ichabod and Y/n look around and notice Katrina kneeling down by the hearth. 

"I used to play by this hearth as a child. It was my first drawing school and my mother was my teacher." She picks up a twig and starts drawing, not noticing Ichabod getting frightened since he saw his mother doing the same thing in his dream.

"Oh, look. See? Carved into the fire back? The archer. I'd forgotten it. This was from long before we lived here." Y/n goes to stand next to Katrina to see the carving and Ichabod goes to lean against the structure trying to get his breath. 

They both look up and notice him acting strange. "Are you all right?" Katrina asks and Y/n walks to stand next to him, having her hand on his back to help calm him down.

"Yes, thank you." Ichabod nods at her and turns around. They all looked up when they heard a bird chirping. 

"A cardinal. My favorite. I'd love to have a tame one, but I wouldn't have the heart to cage him." Katrina smiles at the thought of it.

Y/n looks at Ichabod and reading each other's mind, they agree to give her something she would enjoy. "Well, then we have something for you." He takes out a paper disk with a bird on one side and an empty cage on the other, this is the same toy his mother used to help calm him. "Cardinal on one side. An empty cage. And now..." He spins it and the bird appears to be in the cage. 

"You can do magic. Teach me." Katrina says astonished.

"It is no magic. It is what we call optics. Separate pictures which become one in the spinning. It is truth, but truth is not always appearance." Y/n explains and Katrina looks at her with delight in her eyes.

~~~

At Night in Philipse's house, he is packing his bags, while Steenwyck, Doctor Lancaster, and Hardenbrook are arguing with him. Steenwych comes to the window thinking he seen something, but shrugs it off going back to arguing when Philipse leaves the room.

Ichabod and Y/n walk past the window quietly since they have been spying on them for a while. They look around the corner to see Philipse pack his bags on a cart and walk away. They look at each other with determination to solve why he is leaving town.

~~~

Philipse is walking past a field when Ichabod and Y/n stop near him and get off of their horses. They walk towards them wanting to get answers.

"What are you running from, Magistrate Philipse?" Ichabod questions.

"Damn you, Crane and L/n." Philipse says as he keeps walking.

"You had a mind to help us?"

"Yes and it's put me in mortal dread of..." Philipse says.

"Of what?" Ichabod interrupts.

"Of powers against which there is no defense. Come." Philipse stops walking for a moment, but continues on.

"How did you know the Widow Winship was expecting a child?" Ichabod questions.