Chapter 14: Something feels off

A few days later Bucky and y/n met in one of the workshop rooms during early hours. The room had been prepared with any useful equipment they could use on their next exploration tour through the tunnel system later that day.

After the attack at the last mission, a few adjustments had been made to their gear. Y/n was wearing a new bulletproof vest with additional space for more ammunition and an extra hand gun. As she tested how they felt in her hands, Bucky couldn't keep his eyes off of her. Usually she was hiding her body away in oversized hoodies but that vest hugged her curves in all the right ways. To cover up his gaze, he started fidgeting with some of the knives though he had no interest in them.

Seeing her all geared up, focused with a gun in each hand almost made him forget that this was the same girl who was deadly broken inside.

„You're ready?", Bucky asked as she caught him staring.

She had just put one of the guns in her pocket and the other one back on the table. She nodded silently and they made their way to the car.

The drive was even longer this time. The signal tower that was their destination was located in a disused industrial area way out of town.

While Bucky was driving, y/n prepared the drone they had with them. Equipped with a thermal camera, they let it scan the area before entering it. As they couldn't find anything suspicious, they left the car.

But y/n seemed a little off. Worried she looked around.

The day before, Tony had shown them a holographic 3D map of the tunnel system.

„The is the latest map we could find", Tony had explained.

„The map is already a few years old so we doubt that it is up to date. Aside from that we don't know how long they have been operating down there. They probably had more than enough time to expand the system further. I agree with your assessment that it would take us forever to locate their base unless we first figure out how big their system actually is."

Tony zoomed in on one of the buildings on the map:
„This is where you will start. It is the building where the old signal box was placed. It will give us a good overview of what we're dealing with."

The premises looked exactly the way they were shown on the map. Yet y/n seemed worried about something.

„What is it?", Bucky asked.

„I don't know", she said still scanning her surroundings.
„Something feels off."

He looked around once more. Though he couldn't find anything, he still trusted her guts. After all she was an experienced agent and he trusted her judgment.