The Reaping

I'm stupid. I will volunteer. I will win. I will show my stupid family that I wasn't worth being abandoned. I hate them.

They probably think I'm dead. I'm actually the exact opposite. There's this old woman that had taken a liking to me whom buys food and clothes for me. She pays for my education, for training for the games, for anything. I consider her my mom.

It will break her heart for me to volunteer, but I must do it.

I dress in a baby blue pinpoint suit, my hair is slicked back, and I wear a new pair of oxfords on my feet. I look older than I really am. If I don't tell anyone they will all probably think I'm sixteen or something.

I leave my home and walk to the town square by myself. I wait with the other kids my age. Some cry, others stare blankly into the crowd.

I stand there with a slight smile on my face. These kids sit here worrying about their fate, but only if they knew I would save them...

Our capitol rep walls on stage to do all the routine blah blah blah. I zone out. Nothing new to any of us.

Soon there's a girl making her way to the stage. I wish I could volunteer for you too...

Then the rep stick hey hand in for the boy's name. "Alfred Bloom!" Echos out into the crowd. An older boy moves forward. People begin to cry for the two that was picked. I smile and step out into the walkway.

"I volunteer." I yell out. The older boy turns around shock on his face, then anger. Why anger?

"What the heck are you doing!?" Alfred yells at me as peacekeepers push him back to his age group. I only smile.

Maybe I'm insane. Maybe it's just my stupidity. I don't know, but I do know that I just volunteered for the games and I will win.

This year's tributes: Dulce Espanoza and Jacob Nash.

I will win. I will cut down every tribute myself if I have to. I will come back as the youngest winner of the hungry games.

I will teach my family a lesson.

May the odds be ever in my favor.