02

Quinn was the type to never pay attention to class, but whenever one of the teachers asked her a question, she knew the answer right away. It was almost as if she wasn't daydreaming at all. Her overall disinterest in class but good grades led many to envy her, because they put much more effort, apparently.

Why did that matter right now, you ask?

Maeve's obnoxiously high-pitched voice echoed across the room as she walked in front of Quinn's desk. Class had just ended, and she stayed put in her seat, lost in her thoughts.

Maeve slammed her book on the table, Quinn jerking slightly at the noise.

"Pay attention to me, you weirdo!" Maeve glared at her. "You don't deserve to be fifth at all, I mean, look at you, you don't even pay attention to the teachers!"

Quinn looked up with her green eyes; without a care in the world.

Her simple response seemed to annoy Maeve even more, because she picked up her textbook from the desk and raised it to Quinn's face.

She braced for impact, but nothing happened.

"Letting feelings get in the way will only be a nuisance if you want to be a detective. People like you don't deserve to be here."

Quinn looked up at the sound of another voice. It was Mello, number two at Wammy's House. He hit the textbook out of Maeve's hands. She was shaking in fear.

Even though it was never openly said by Roger himself, it was painfully obvious that he had his own personal ranking of the students. Near was first, Mello second, Matt third, Linda fourth, Quinn fifth, and so on. The other kids always tried to stay near people with higher rankings, because they hoped to support the next L. Linda and Quinn were a special case, they were constantly picked on and avoided.

After a few years of trying her hardest, she got unmotivated when she realized how boring everything was. Soon, she just stopped trying and came up with a new name for herself. Quinn, number five. The "burnt-out gifted kid."

The bang of a falling book jerked her out of another daydream; she blinked to steady her eyes. She remembered what was happening. Mello had defended her from Maeve.

Before she had the chance to thank her savior, Mello stomped away, leaving Quinn and Maeve frozen in shock. Quinn blinked in confusion. She knew that she wouldn't be interacting with Mello again.

At least, that's what she thought. It wasn't the last time they would meet.