04

Today was a testing day.

Every few months, the teachers would give them an exam on what they remembered. Quinn knew that this was an important day. They were testing people for L's Successor Program. If she scored too high, she would get in; if she scored too low, she would need extended tutoring. Fifth was a good ranking, high enough for not too many people to bother her, but not high enough to get super-special attention from Roger, and not too much pressure.

Quinn flipped through the pages of the booklet, skimming the questions. It wasn't too bad this time. Everything they learned in class. She took her time on almost every question, skipping the ones that didn't interest her.

She turned in the test last. After all, no one was gaining anything by handing it in the fastest. They would be getting their results the next day, and she hoped that her calculations were accurate.

Quinn rushed out of class with her notebook, stumbling as she bumped into someone. It was Ezra, one of Maeve's friends. Speaking of Maeve, Quinn hadn't seen her lately. Strange for someone who usually insulted her every day. She hoped Mello was able to scare her off.

"Watch where you're going!" Ezra sneered at her, shoving her away from him. Quinn didn't bother to get off the ground as he walked away. The last time she did, he pushed her back down. It was obvious he bumped into her on purpose.

As she struggled to push herself back up, her eyes met with that of Linda's; her usual friendly eyes showed a look of worry.

"Are you alright?" She asked as she hoisted Quinn up. "It was those mean kids again, wasn't it!? I can't believe Roger hasn't done anything!"

Right when she let go of her hand, Quinn stumbled to the floor again. "I think I sprained my ankle," she groaned in annoyance. Linda helped her walk to Roger's Office to get some ice.

They slowly walked up the stairs, reaching a cold, wooden door. A small, metal sign was nailed onto the door, reading 'Office.' It was Mr. Wammy's room at the orphanage, but while he wasn't there, Roger did his paperwork.

Before Quinn could knock, it swung open, as if he knew that Quinn was there. Instead of the grumpy look that Roger bore, they were met with the cold glare of Mello. She blankly stared at the blonde, her wavy hair shifting as she looked up to make eye contact with him. He mumbled something under his breath before moving out of the way.

When Roger found out about what had happened, he called Mello back into the room.

"You will help carry her books while her ankle is healing," he told him calmly.

No matter how much Mello complained, there was nothing that would change Roger's decision. After being given proper treatment and crutches, they were all rushed outside of his office.

To this day, Quinn doesn't understand why she wasn't paired with Linda, but she was glad that it wasn't anyone worse.