two

Warnings: None

Warnings: None

○○○○

Julie was stretching out in the mat next to her brother and Aisha. Jamie looked a bit goofy in his white gi but Julie didn't say anything. She didn't want him to go and get upset and leave. Out of the two, he was definitely the most fragile. They were almost late to class because Julie was struggling to convince him to put the gi on in the first place.

He "already knew how to fight" Thanks to their two older foster brothers way back in the day. They used to come home late at night, all beaten up and bruised. But always with a hefty amount of cash that they were "saving up". Julie was sure they were in some sort of underground fight club. Before Julie could really muster up the courage to ask where they went every night, they disappeared. 

The group home's director had briefly told them that the boys ran off to Korea, chasing some dream that they could become rich or something along the lines. They're gone and it's been years, Julie was starting to forget all about them. "Whose that?" Jamie tilted his head towards an old man who walked into the dojo.

Miguel immediately walked up to the man to ask if he was lost. Sensei Lawrence quickly came out of the office and greeted the man. They spoke privately before walking towards the front of the class.

"Class. This is Mr. Kreese. He's just an observer." Julie looked the man up and down. Something was off about him. And it wasn't just the awful stench of cigar. "Pretend he's not here." Yeah hard to do when the entire class smells like axe body spray and a smoke shop. Julie turned her nose in disgust.

"Mr. Diaz. Warm them up."

~~~~~

"Fuck you Miguel." Julie groaned as she was hosed down by Sensei Lawrence. A little prank he and the others pulled during warm ups led to them being thrown into a concrete churner and spending hours keeping the concrete in motion.

OK, they weren't thrown in. Johnny looked for volunteers. And as Champ you're kind of expected to lead the others into the lesson. But this sucked.

"Brutal first day of class." Jamie rolled his wrists out as he sat in the passenger seat next to Julie. Miguel sat quietly in the back. His mind was obviously somewhere else.

Julie nodded, eyes focused on the road. "Sorry." Miguel sucked his teeth as he looked out the window. "Something is up with Sensei. He normally would have found that funny."

"Sure." Julie laughed as she turned up the radio. Her car didn't have Bluetooth and she couldn't find her aux. "I am so tired." She groaned as they stopped at a red light. "And I'm closing tonight."

She sunk into the leather seat. She expected with school to be out for her to have more time for Karate and work but she felt like she was just burning out.