Chapter Four

Eleanor's P.O.V.

I stand by myself in the back left corner, my full attention devoted to the screen of my phone. I could really use a friend right now. A pre-lunch trade, a note slipped between desks to distract me from the "adventure" that they call learning. Just a simple text, so I know that they're alive and still thinking about me. But Nicole isn't in this class and Emma is missing. I've got no one.

I feel like I have no one most of the time, these days.

I'm so desperate to talk to someone, anyone, that I even consider texting Matthew. I eventually decide maybe not. I'm not good at talking to boys in general; it would be far too awkward, considering we've never had a full or interesting conversation with one another. I don't think either me or Nicole actually notice he's with us most of the time because his ears only seem to work for Emma. I don't think they realise how often I catch them staring at each other.

I shuffle out of the changing rooms, my arms folded, trying to hide the hideous skin stained with scarlet bruises they gave me the day before and the cuts I gave to myself afterwards. Just two cuts, on my wrists.I wasn't really thinking straight when it happened. The fake sick note didn't work on my P.E. teacher, but if anybody even notices I'll just tell them I have a vicious cat. It's not like I have any friends in this class that would come round to my house to investigate.
So, no big deal.

I try to ignore the cackles and prods and shoves I get from the clicks. They throw in a few crappy comments about how I've got the body of a child, about how I'm stalking my 53 year old Maths teacher, about how I happen to be a slut and a virgin at the same time. They almost make me laugh. But they almost make me cry.

We do athletics. I'd rather be a slut than do that. My legs and arms are weak, so I come last in everything. The clicks make fun of me some more. Then my moron teacher encourages me specifically to keep on going. I want to kick her in the face. Now I'm a teacher's pet, apparently.
Whatever I do, whatever path I choose, there's some sort of insult waiting for me.

The girls know I get 'teased'. If only they knew the full damn extent of the problem.

I get changed quickly after athletics, so that I can hide myself behind the Sports Hall before the clicks find me. The wall juts out slightly to allow for a storage room, so I squeeze into a spot that would allow the wall to hide me. It smells of sewers and it's damp and there are bunch of Year Nines smoking and fighting and if I got caught here I'd have to suffer a detention but I don't care I don't care I don't care.
I pull out my copy of The Fault In Our Stars and try to forget about the world around me. If only a guy like Augustus would pay attention to me.

I hear the bell, then the familiar ringtone blaring from my bag. I'm supposed to be making my way to my next class...but oh, as if I could focus on my education anyway! I mean, what harm will it do, just missing two measly hours?

I check my phone. Just a text.

Nicole_Is_Texting_You: hey were r u havnt seen u al break :P

Then another.

The Pentagon: Im ill *sniffl* how u doin?

I send to both of them:

I'm fine chilling behind Sports hall

Nicole_Is_Texting_You: u cud get in truble! Cummon geography hurry up!

No

The Pentagon: tut tut go to classssss

You can talk

The Pentagon: I'm ill!

Nicole_Is_Texting_You: bet ur faking :-)

The Pentagon: :-( im not bye

She ok?

Nicole_Is_Texting_You: dont worry about her! Im worryd about U. Y u keep ditching class. Ur not like them stop it.

The she beast will yell if i turn up now.

Nicole_Is_Texting_You: eleanor STOP THIS u better be in English its ur fave subject

Was

Nicole_Is_Texting_You: wats gotten into you???

Nothing! Luk ill c u in english k? Just chill. If i turn up can we go Primark afta skool ya?

Nicole_Is_Texting_You: erm...sorry no im busy tonite. Stupid project thingy.

Awww come on we haven't bin out together in, like, ageeeesssss

Nicole_Is_Texting_You:not now Eleanor! Just pls come class im her if u need me k? x

Same here x

But she's wrong. She just doesn't get it.
___________________________________________
A/N: pretty scary, depressing chapter right? Well. It's me. And I'm evil. So you'll get used to it.
If you've a faint heart, I recommend you RUN. RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN 😈😈😈
So, I updated Predator today. Please, seriously, check it out. You have to scroll exactly twelve times to find my story when you search its' title, and I feel like maybe I deserve a little better than that. I know it's hard to get noticed here, but it's not about the fame, it's about the passion.
The passion for torturing my readers. 😇😇😇

See you later alligator!
Eleanor ❤️💛💚💙💜💖