four

- Age of Ultron -

┏━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━┓

In the Quinjet, Alexei stood nearby as Steve and Clint discussed attack plans.

Alexei's attention wandered, taking in the interior of the aircraft. But his ears perked up when he heard Clint say suspiciously, "Are you sure about him?" He jerked his chin at Alexei.

Alexei whirled on them. "What about me?" he demanded, glaring.

Steve quickly raised a placating hand. "It's fine, don't worry about it," he said soothingly to Alexei before giving Clint a quelling look.

Clint looked unconvinced but didn't push it. Alexei continued to eye him distrustfully.

Steve stepped closer and lowered his voice. "I know you have no reason to trust any of us yet. But I meant what I said - we're going to do things differently this time. All I ask is you give us a chance to prove it."

Alexei searched Steve's earnest expression before giving a curt nod. "Fine," he conceded reluctantly.

Steve's shoulders relaxed in relief. "Thank you," he said sincerely. Turning back to Clint, he continued firmly, "Alexei is with us now. We look out for our own - no exceptions."

Clint glanced between them reluctantly before nodding. Satisfied, Steve turned and grabbed his shield, then faced Alexei.

"Two minutes. Stay here," Steve ordered firmly before hitting the button to open the Quinjet's rear hatch. He leaped out into the open air.

Alexei moved to stand by Clint at the monitors. Steve and an unknown woman's voices filtered through the comms.

"He's uploading himself into the body," the woman said urgently.

"Where?" Steve questioned.

"The Cradle's power core - the gem - it's uncontainable. You can't just blow it up, you have to get the Cradle to Stark," she warned.

"First I have to find it," Steve affirmed.

"Go!" the woman urged.

"Did you guys copy that?" Steve checked.

"We got it," Clint confirmed.

Just then Natasha approached from behind Alexei. "I got a private jet taking off, no manifest. Could be our guy," she reported, making Alexei jump in surprise.

Natasha gave Alexei an amused, calculating look seeing his surprise at her presence, before turning her focus back to Clint.

"There, it's a truck from the lab, right above you Cap. Three men with the Cradle, one driving," Clint noted, spotting it on the monitor. "I could take out the driver."

"Negative!" Steve ordered sharply. "If that truck crashes, the gem could level the city. We need to draw out Ultron."

Suddenly Ultron's enraged voice sounded over the comms. "No, no, no! Leave me alone!"

"Well, he's definitely unhappy! I'm gonna try and keep him that way," Steve quipped, explosions sounding in the background.

"You're not a match for him, Cap," Clint cautioned worriedly.

"Thanks, Barton," came Steve's wry reply.

The tension in the Quinjet ramped up as they monitored the high-stakes mission unfolding. Alexei observed it all closely, getting a crash course in how the Avengers operated.

"We've got a window - four, three...give 'em hell," Natasha directed. She dropped from the jet on a motorcycle, speeding for the truck.

"They're heading under the overpass, I've got no shot," Clint updated tersely.