Chapter Twelve

🌶️ (This chapter is partially NSFW)

i could show you incredible things—magic, madness, heaven, sin

🌩️      🦇      🗡️     🌲     ✨

Sleep just wouldn't come that night and Tessa tossed and turned until she gave up; deciding to go flying and let her shadows out instead. She was resting on her favourite tree, staring up at the stars when she felt that annoying telltale pull in her gut and quickly stifled her power.

She remained lying flat on her branch, even though it wobbled as his feet touched down on the end. She refused to look at him, staring up at one of her favourite constellations intensely, ignoring the way her heart skipped at the feel of his eyes on her. Maybe it was a little immature, but he'd hurt her this way and that dark, malicious part of her she tried to hide thought a taste of his own medicine would be the perfect retribution.

"Tessa," Nyx sighed as she continued refusing to acknowledge him, "I—" Turning sideways, Tessa rolled straight off the edge of the branch, plummeting toward the ground like a pin. She only snapped her wings out at the very last moment to buffer a tiny bit of air—softening the boom her boots hit the ground with. She began stalking away before he could even land behind her.

"Fuck!" He yelled out. "Tessa, that scared the shit out of me!"

She continued looking up at the stars as she walked, praying for patience. She'd promised herself that if he really tried to apologise she'd hear him out, but whenever she looked at him she wanted to scream or cry.

"Please?" He asked wearily, "just—" He reached out to grab her forearm and she spun, anger winning out as she elbowed him in the abdomen and then followed it up with a sweeping kick, taking his legs out from under him. She threw her foot out, placing it on his chest firmly. Not gentle, but not pushing either. Finn would have been proud.

He stared up at her with wide eyes like he hadn't been expecting it and she sneered, removing her foot and turning to stalk away again. "Would you just listen to me?!" He exploded and she screamed with rage, tears filling her eyes.

"No." Her voice wavered. "I'm not going to listen to you. You've had nearly two weeks for me to listen to you!" She exclaimed after checking the moon's position, chuckling wryly as she noticed he'd followed Caden's advice to the hour. "I'm not going to listen now." Maybe after another week of receiving the same silent treatment he'd given her, he'd feel just as foolish as she did right now.

"Look, I know I should have come up here sooner." He scrambled after her. "I know—"

"You don't know." She hissed, feeling that dark mass inside of her twisting; eating at her once more.

"Please, Tessa." He darted in front of her. "Just hear me out, I—I care about you." He pleaded.

"But do you respect me?" She asked, voice hoarse with emotion.

"I do." He said forcefully, "I promise you, I do."

"Just not to make my own choices then." She blinked tears out of her eyes, trying to look past him so she didn't have to see whatever expression he had on his face. "I thought you saw me." She tried to work the lump out of her throat. "I've never really had anyone you know," her voice shook. "My whole life...you were the first person who looked at me and didn't mind all the—the sharp edges." She closed her eyes. "Do you understand how much it hurt me when you just—just ignored me?"