Chapter Eighteen

i can feel the flames on my skin

🌩️     🦇     🗡️     🌲     ✨

She woke up to Nyx curled around her and kept her eyes closed, wanting to savour the feeling forever. She wanted to wake up every morning like this; for the rest of her life. She shifted slightly, noting the sun just parting the darkness outside his window and realised she needed to get up. She didn't know how much Cassian, Azriel or Finn had drank the night before but she didn't think they were the type to skip training regardless.

She pulled herself out of Nyx's embrace, smiling softly at the way his brows knit together, his arms reaching out for her, even in sleep. Tenderly, she pulled the covers back over him before making her way to the bathroom. She'd put her clothes to the side and only been in the hot water for a minute or two when she felt her gut twist and threw herself out of the tub; wrapping a towel around her just in time to fall to her knees by the toilet and retch.

Tears gathered in her eyes at the sensation and a moment later Nyx was behind her, pulling her wet hair back in his hands. She grimaced as she coughed, hating that he was seeing her like this. Sensing she was finished, he slowly lifted her to the sink so she could wash her mouth out. His arms around her, keeping her steady he asked, "I thought you weren't going to drink last night?"

Tessa frowned, wiping at her eyes. "I didn't." She was shaking slightly as she leaned back against him.

"Have you felt sick?" He asked, concerned and she shook her head.

"I don't know." She peered over at the hot bath, "I think maybe it was the steam?" She said confused. "I was feeling lightheaded."

He held a hand to her forehead. "You don't feel hot but maybe you're right." He didn't sound convinced. He held her while she washed her teeth twice, only putting her toothbrush down when her breath was minty.

"I'm sure it's nothing." She shook her head, leaning back into the crook of his shoulder. "But since you're here." She turned and began stripping his clothes off, leading him over to the tub. She settled back against him in complete comfort once they were in the water, her hands gripping his arms where they curled around her.

"This doesn't seem like a very efficient bath." He murmured in her ear. "If you fall asleep you'll miss your training completely."

Tessa shrugged. She had been so exhausted lately and a nap in the tub with him sounded divine—but he was right. She needed to go. If she was even a minute late to training, Cassian would flay her alive. She sighed, splashing her face with some water once more. His hand trailed over her breast and she laughed. "You were the one who told me I was going to be late."

She could feel his mischievous smile without even having to turn around. "I know." He said simply, letting his hand trail lower but she shook her head.

"Next time," she said softly, a promise as she lifted herself out of the water, wrapping a towel around her body. She leaned down to kiss him thoroughly, her teeth dragging on his lower lip as she let go and she admired the picture he made, wings draped over the back of the bath, his lips now full and red in contrast to the mass of tan skin on display. "You make it so hard to leave." She grinned, taking in the sight of him.

He smirked lazily and she swallowed hard as his hand moved lower in the water. "Ok." She almost squeaked. "I'm going now." She didn't even bother to dry herself off, simply threw her body into the shadows and disappeared, winnowing back to her home in Illyria.