Chapter Twenty-Three

screaming, crying, perfect storms, i can make all the tables turn

🌩️      🦇      🗡️      🌲      ✨

It was barely a moment before she was scooped into Nyx's arms, rage burning in his eyes as he held her tightly. "Don't ever do that again." She let her sword disappear into shadow, wrapping her arms around his neck with a desperate whimper.

All of the adrenaline rushed out of her now that they were somewhere safe and she slumped against him, holding back the tears in her eyes. "I couldn't feel you." Her fingers grasped at his shoulders. "I couldn't feel you."

He swallowed harshly, letting out a shuddering breath, the anger dissipating immediately. "I'm right here, lover." He cradled her against his chest. "I'm right here." His lips made contact with her forehead and she let out a strangled sob, curling against him.

"This has been the worst fucking day ever." She choked out and he chuckled, stroking over her hair. "You're never allowed to leave again." He was laughing but she wasn't kidding.

"Are you ok?" He asked her and she hit him in the shoulder with her fist.

"Don't ask me!" She yelled. "Look at your wings! Where the hell is Madja?" It was his parents instead who ran toward them, Feyre reaching out immediately with a glowing hand toward her son. Rhysand crouched beside them, a hand falling onto each of their shoulders.

"Are you alright?" He fussed and Tessa craned her head over Nyx's shoulder, watching Feyre work on his broken wings.

"I'm fine." He brushed them all off. "They restrained me by my wings." He said tightly. "They were damaged."

Tessa's jaw shook and she wished she'd been able to burn that entire castle to the ground while she'd been there. Just thinking about what they'd done to him made her want to throw up. Peering over his shoulder she had a perfect vantage point to see Azriel arrive wreathed in shadow, dropping Eris beside him on the grass.

The shadowsinger stalked toward them, kneeling down next to Rhysand.

"Are y—"

"No offence," Tessa cut him off, "but the next person who asks me that is going to die." Nyx snorted, hiding his grin in her hair. "I'd also like to take this opportunity to say I told you so." She said imperiously as Cassian joined them. "Like seriously—"

"We know." Rhysand cut her off with a sigh and Tessa frowned, leaning back into Nyx.

"Not only was I right but that was also the fourth battle I fought in today. You guys have to be nice to me forever now." She looked at Cassian. "I'm taking tomorrow off." The general dissolved into laughter, squatting down to observe Feyre's work on Nyx's wings.

"What do you mean four?" Nyx glared and Tessa only smiled.

"See all those?" Cassian waved his hand toward the ward line. "That was her." Tessa turned her head and noticed they still hadn't cleaned up the bodies. "She also fought at Ironcrest and the House of Wind."

Nyx's head whipped from Cassian to his father. "What the hell happened while I was gone?"

"Mutiny," Azriel muttered, answering for them.

"I think that only happens on boats." Tessa mused and she watched Rhysand's lips twitch.

"No, I think it's everywhere." He argued serenely, flicking some invisible lint off his shoulder.