Ch 11

November 12, 1955

9:25 p.m.

Annie's POV

I stroked Marty's hair, worriedly. I heard his last words and I wasn't paying attention to the dance floor as I held him in my arms.

I whispered, "I love you too, Marty."

I closed my eyes and tears rolled down my cheek. I felt someone wiping it away. My heart skipped a beat. I felt some moment in my arms. Could it be? I opened my eyes and saw Marty...alive and well! I looked at him, thinking that he was going to disappear at any moment and decided to look out onto the dance floor. I saw Uncle George and Aunt Lorraine in the midst of a kiss. I smiled at the sight and Marty left my arms and finished playing the song. He took a picture of the guitar and showed it to me. Dave, Linda, and him were there and not disappearing! I breathed a sigh of relief, got up, and Marvin came over to us.

He smiled and said, "That was great! Let's do another one!"

I shook my head and pointed out, "Sorry, but we really have to go."

Marty nodded but Marvin said, "Oh, come on! Let's do something that really cooks."

Marty perked up and repeated, "Something that really cooks."

I shot him a look and responded, "You're not thinking what I think you're thinking."

He smiled and said to the band, "Okay, this is an R & B melody, watch me for the changes, and try to keep up."

Just at that moment, Marty started to play Johnny B. Good. We all started dancing and eventually everyone stopped while Marty kept playing. I was trying to get his attention but it wasn't until he slid on the stage he noticed that he lost his audience. That was the one thing about Marty. He could never tell when he lost his audience. I sighed out of embarrassment.

Marty spoke into the microphone, "I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet. But, you kids are going to love it."

He ran off the stage and I ran after him. We were backstage and near the back door. I was wondering if he had heard me earlier and I was wondering if he meant what he said. Just then, he took my hand, capturing my attention. I looked at him and he smiled.

He said, "Annie, I did mean what I said. I love you."

I blushed feverishly and responded, "Well then, we've got a problem. I love you too." Marty smiled and I added, "Uh, I hate to ruin this moment but we've got to get to City Hall and meet Doc!"

Marty perked up and said, "Ah, damn! You're right! He's probably walking around in circles saying, 'damn, I wonder where those two are'."

I smiled and responded, "Probably, knowing Doc."

My face fell as I hoped that Doc didn't discover our letter yet. I didn't want to lose Doc. After all, he was like a father to me and Marty.

Marty saw Aunt Lorraine and said, "Lorraine."

Aunt Lorraine faked a smile and said, "Marty, that was very interesting music."

I tried so hard not to giggle. Marty was shooting me a look.

Marty hissed, "Quiet."

Aunt Lorraine added, "I hope you don't mind but George offered to take me home."

Marty smiled, playfully punched her, and responded, "Great, great! I've got a feeling about you two."

Aunt Lorraine smiled and said, "I've got a feeling too."

Uncle George came over and wrapped his jacket around Aunt Lorraine.

I said, "Well, we've got to go but we want you to know that this has been very...educational."