Chapter 1: Eden to Egypt

By Crowley

If you ever wondered what it felt like, falling, I can tell you this: it hurts. A lot. But it's not really because you hit the ground with great violence. No, the physical pain is nothing compared to the mental. First your head hurts so much that you can't see a thing, nor hear a thing - but again, that's physical. You feel your memories dropping from your brain and fading a little more every second. You can try as hard as you want, you will forget everything that happened before the fall, even your own name, and that's what hurts.
For angels, a name's a gift, a gift from God. Only She* can take it back. So you know it's because of Her. The Almighty doesn't want you to remember who you were, the angel you were, the name She gave you and defines yourself, because She thinks you don't deserve it anymore. It's the worst of all disgraces. And it feels terrible.
I can tell you all of this because I lived such an experience. I'm a fallen angel, a demon. I remember my fall. Some can say they felt fear, shame, or even sadness. I didn't. I just, you know, vaguely sauntered downwards. It was only surprise, then pain. The sadness came after. I remembered something particular. It was blurry, but I know it was someone. And they were crying. Maybe trying to reach out for me, I couldn't say. But they were special to me, I knew that, and that they didn't fall.
Since then, I'm known as Crowley. I was sent to Earth by Lord Beelzebub, a baron of Hell, to "temp" the humans. No big deal, little mission. There was this angel, though, that was quite annoying... And also a little amusing. We met in Eden. He was guarding the Eastern gate. I had turned into a snake to sneak in and was observing Adam and Eve when I saw him. Those white, pure wings... It had been long since I had last saw a pair of them. The snake I was was less conspicuous than my original form, a man with long red hair and dark wings, and so I could approach him without him noticing me. Beside him, I took back my normal appearance.
Strangely, he didn't seem panicked or angry when he saw me. I was intrigued. We even... Talked casually. I can say he was not really into what he was doing because he kept answering badly before correcting himself. I must say it was hillarious. Then he paused as rain started pouring and, just like that, he extended a wing above me to keep me from getting wet.
I looked at him. He had closed his eyes and was offering his face to the rain, smiling gently, his white-blond hair already starting to stick to the skin of his forehead. He seemed... Peaceful. How could he be? After that, I just left. I had done what I had to, I had no reason to stay any longer.

***

Somehow, we met again again on Earth. In Egypt. Back there, I was considered a god, because of my ability to turn into a snake and do, like, miracles. So I was beside pharaoh, he listened to me, and I could easily tempt him. I was rich, had a temple and all I asked for. I never thought I would see him again. The first time, in the palace courtyard, I thought I had seen it wrong. It couldn't possibly be him. But who else? Who in Egypt had this white hair, so recognizable, apart from him? He looked up. There was no possible mistake.
'What's this angel doing here?' I muttered.
I joined him and he turned round.
'Hey Angel, what are you doing here?'
'Well, actually...'
I grabbed his arm and dragged him to the Nile. It was empty of people, and we could talk freely. I forced him to look me in the eyes.
'I'm on a mission for Heaven,' he said. 'What are you doing here?'
'Mission for Hell,' I sighed. 'Boring. Just some temptation work. And watching out for angels,' I added with an expressive glance.
'Are you going to... Discorporate me?'
I hesitated. The occasion only seemed too perfect for that. But something was stopping me.
'I won't,' I said. 'Will you?'
'... No.'
It appeared that Aziraphale - the angel - was there because of the approching birth of a boy that would have a role in God's plans. All he had to do for the moment was to make sure the mother was alright and wait for it to happen. Meanwhile, we got to know each other better. He was always positive, his blue eyes sparkling like stars, and smiled a lot... Before I knew it, I started to appreciate him more and more. And I thought he did, too.

__________________

*God will be a female in this fanfic. If you don't like this, I don't care.