Chapter 6: Bethlehem

By Aziraphale

  Disclaimer:
  It's probably going to be, like, very different from the show. So don't try to find anything like it. I should have said that in the beginning... Though you may find similar lines, of course.

  I never thought it could be. I mean, an angel and a demon, it's just… Who would think they'd ever be friends? Apparently, it can be… we were, at least.
  Crowley and I spent ages together. We went through it all, just the two of us.
  The next important events happened during the Roman empire. At the start of it, actually. 0 BC. We were in Bethlehem at the time, because I had received instructions from Metatron. God… Well, I guess She was too busy to tell it directly to me. Guess She always was… The only time She did talk to me was… A very, very long time ago.
  ‘Will you tell me what exactly are you looking for?’ asked Crowley, annoyed.
  ‘I told you, it's a woman!’
  ‘Which woman?!’
  ‘I don't know !’ I replied.
  I’d only know when I see her, as I had told him, but he wouldn't listen. I knew it was beginning to annoy him, so did it annoy me, but I had to do it, it was my mission. He could go, he wasn't obliged to stay, though I was.
  ‘You can go if that's what you want,’ I told him.
  ‘You know I won't,’ he said. ‘You’d be getting in too much trouble without me.
  I smiled. I certainly would, and was very thankful he was there.
  ‘Anyways, I’m heading out for a sec,’ hé added. ‘Coming back soon, Angel.’
  ‘I’ll be waiting here!’ I called as he left.
  What was he planning? Even after 500 years, I still couldn't say what that demon was up to. I waited about five minutes and a woman arrived in front of me. I didn't really care, wondering where Crowley was, and didn't watch her too closely.
  ‘Angel?’
  I turned round. This woman, could it be… long red hair, great yellow eyes, tanned skin…
  ‘Crowley, is that you?’
  She smiled. Yes, it was him. Could I even say “him”?
  ‘Yes. What do you think about it? Crowley asked simply.
  ‘You look… feminine.’
  At this moment, I didn't know what to think about his/her? – let’s say their – new appearance. It was the first time I ever saw him switch gender, and though long hair always fitted them – as far as I remember, he had long hair when we met – seeing them as a woman was unusual. But I had to admit, they were pretty.
  ‘You look very nice, my dear.’
  ‘You really think so?’
  ‘Of course I do.’
  Crowley smiled mischievously.
  ‘You like confusing me, don't you?’
  ‘You know me too well, Angel.’
  I didn't think so, but it made me smile. It was almost night, so I lit a fire in the ruins of a house. Crowley sat and miracled food before inviting me to sit beside them.
  ‘You know I can do it myself,’ I said, pointing at the food.
  ‘You lit the fire, I did the cooking,’ Crowley smiled. ‘Team work.’
  Later on, we were talking and a man came to us. I stood up to welcome him while Crowley stayed sitting on the ground. The man asked:
  ‘Good night, brother, can we share your fire, my wife and I?’
  ‘Of course, brother, I answered. ‘You’re very welcome to share our food as well.’
  ‘Thank you, we owe you much,’ he said.
  His wife arrived. She was so young! And yet pregnant… I looked at Crowley. They seemed to think the same. She sat difficultly in front of us. She was very courageous, I thought. She and her husband were probably traveling for quite a long time, and still she didn't seem to complain. But something, something about her was special, like…
  Oh, my God.
  ‘Crowley! That's her!’ I tell them, half-screaming half-whispering.
  ‘You mean…’
  ‘She’s the woman for whom I’ve been missionned!’ I shrieked.
  ‘You sure?’
  ‘Of course I am!!’
  Meanwhile, the two others ate and rested a little. Crowley approached the woman and talked with her while I talked with her husband.
  ‘Thank you again for your fire, you’re really good people, your wife and you,’ he said.
  My wife?!
  Apparently, Crowley had heard that, and found it very funny.
  ‘Oh, no worries, my husband and I are very pleased,’ they said, looking at me. I was blushing uncontrollably and had to turn round so that they didn't see me. ‘Don’t we, darling?’
  ‘We won’t abuse your kindness any longer,’ said the man who didn't notice. ‘We’ll try to find someone who's as good as you are and let us sleep in their house in town,’ he added. ‘They won’t refuse it to a pregnant woman, won’t they?’
  ‘Probably,’ I said.
  I knew the inhabitants wouldn't help them, even though she was pregnant. But it had to happen.
  ‘Let’s go, Mary,’ said the man.
  ‘Yes, darling,’ she smiled.
  ‘Let me help you, sister,’ said Crowley promptly.
  She accepted their help with gratitude.
  ‘Good night, sister,’ she wished before leaving.
  After they’d gone, Crowley looked at me.
  ‘You’re supposed to look after her, right?’
  ‘Yes?’ I said.
  ‘Then what are we waiting for?!’
  They took my hand and dragged me after them.