Chapter 7: The birth

By Aziraphale

  ‘Crowley, wait! We must not be seen!’
  ‘I know, Aziraphale!’
  They suddenly stopped and pushed me behind a wall.
  ‘Will you stop!’ I said.
  The expectant mother – Mary, I’ve heard – and her husband asked a first man to give them somewhere they could spend the night, but he turned them down. The two of them tried again with another, and another, but the answer was always the same. Crowley started to loose patience.
  ‘Can’t you do something for them?’ they asked.
  ‘I can't, I’m an angel, I can’t interfere !’ I replied, though I did want to help.
  Each time the two travelers were rejected, Crowley was getting a little bit angrier. He would soon not be able to keep it in, I knew it.
  ‘She’s pregnant! How can they refuse that?!’ they almost shouted. ‘Angel, do something, for… for someone’s sake!’
  ‘I can’t!’
  The woman suddenly cried. Her husband yelled as well, trying to get help from the very few people around. She was about to give birth. At least, someone opened his door and accepted to help them, though all he had was stables. As Mary was crying in pain, Crowley asked me again to help them, which still, I couldn't do.
  ‘Angel, please,’ they said, looking at me. ‘If we were humans… If it was I who was there… You would help me, wouldn't you?’ His eyes were supplicant. ‘Please, Angel… for me…’
  ‘I would do so, if we were humans,’ I start. ‘But we’re not. I’m an angel and you’re a demon, and you can’t tempt me.’
  I pushed them away. They looked at me, looking hurt, but their expression soon changed to a mask of anger.
  ‘Fine.’
  Crowley headed towards the stables.
  ‘What are you doing?’
  ‘If you won’t do it, then I'm going to!’ they shouted.
  Crowley entered, and knelt beside Mary.
  ‘It’s me, sister,’ they said with a soft voice, taking her hand. ‘I’m here.’
  ‘Oh, sister… You’re an angel!’ she answered, sobbing.
  Crowley stopped. Evidently, the appellation had made them feel strange.
  ‘Breathe, sister. Here, that's it,’ they continued. ‘I’m here.’
  They backed her for the whole process. In the end, she and her baby were safe and sound, thanks to them. I was reassured. As an angel, I couldn’t help her, but Crowley didn't have to follow the same rules. That's why I pushed them into doing it. They would have done it anyway, I think… Even if they'd never admit it. I knew they had, far inside of their demonic heart, a little goodness, and that was one manifestation.
  ‘Congratulations!’ I said.
  ‘Thank you very much, both of you,’ answered her husband. ‘The angels bless you.’
  ‘We need to go now, but we wish you all the good things on Earth,’ I said. ‘Are you coming?’ I tell Crowley, taking their hand.
  ‘Yes, darling,’ he replied with a forced smile. ‘You’ll have to explain things,’ he added in a low voice.
  We got out and I saw them stopping.
  ‘What are you doing, Crowley?’
  ‘Just a minute, please…’
  What they did at this moment will stay in my memories forever. They clapped his hands together and when he opened them again, a little sparkle of light appeared between them. They pushed it upon the stables and it grew bigger as it rose into the air. They had just… created a star.
  ‘Crowley, what are you doing?’ I said, alarmed.
  ‘You told me other angels were to come, right? If they know as much as you knew, this will help them. And I don’t want them to be unsafe because stupid angels aren’t able to find them… No offense, Aziraphale.’
  ‘That’s fine, but please…!’
  I grabbed their arm and dragged them behind me. If the angels did see their star, they would evidently come to see what was going on, and what would they do if they found a demon!... Oh, I hoped they wouldn't come too soon! What were they thinking about, anyways?
  ‘Angel! Angel, that hurts!’
  ‘Sorry, my dear, but you’re unconscious!’ I said. ‘What if Gabriel found you here?’
  ‘You didn't say anything about Gabriel!’ they protested.
  ‘Who else?! It's a major mission!’
  Crowley slipped their arm out of my hand. I stopped. We were far enough, or at least I hoped so.
  ‘Okay, I should have known, but seriously! Be more precise, next time!’ they sighed.
  ‘I’ll try,’ I promised.
  The baby who was born that night was the one who would make it the first year of the calendar, Jesus Christ. And it’s a demon who helped him be born.

––––––––––––––––

I'm sorry, I know this one was short but I promise I'll do better!