Chapter 8: Heaven and Hell

Almighty's narration

  And again, years passed without making a change for them. Aziraphale and Crowley were working together, and as they did, they kept getting closer. Crowley got promoted to Representent of Hell on Earth, but it didn't really change anything for him. His actions weren't controlled - as long as it's bad, it's fine, he said - and he could do a lot more than before. Aziraphale was always making sure his side didn't cause them troubles, and only enjoyed his time. The demon often got him out of uncomfortable situations, always there at the perfect moment, and Aziraphale wished he could do the same for him. Not that he wished Crowley was in trouble, of course, but he wanted to do something for him.
  Everything went smooth and well, until Aziraphale got an order to come back to Heaven. He did not have the right to stay on Earth anymore, and was for some reason convocated by the archangel Gabriel.
  'I'll be back as soon as I can,' said Aziraphale to the demon.
  'Yeah, right,' he answered.
  I will wait, he thought. But he wouldn't say it, obviously. What would Aziraphale think? That he, a demon, cared about him, an angel? It was true though, but never told. And so Aziraphale left, after a last glance back. But for Crowley, it was a sort of relief. He didn't tell the angel, but he also was convoqued in Hell, by his own superior, the now Prince of Hell Lord Beelzebub. He had meant to tell the angel, but didn't know how to do it, so when Aziraphale said he had to go, Crowley was relieved he didn't have to say anything.
  Aziraphale didn't like going to Heaven. It was where he belonged to, pour course, but there always was that feeling, that tension in the air, so palpable, and that's what he hated. Everything up there seemed so perfect at first sight - it was made to be, after all -, all white and pure, big and amazingly beautiful, but after some time spent there, you could feel something was wrong. Or at least, Aziraphale did. Heaven was cold, distant, even maybe... No, that couldn't be. But as Heaven, and angels, were supposed to be creatures of love, how was it all so unlike it? Love was warm, thought Aziraphale, like a mother's embrace, a child's laugh, a lover's kiss... Nothing like this ice-cold impression Heaven gave. Once he had arrived, Aziraphale looked up and sighed. He eventually stepped in and flew to Gabriel's office.
  Crowley didn't particularly like Hell either. For other reasons, though. He didn't like its inhabitants, for one. It's not like Hastur, the demon that had the worst hair fashion, in Crowley's opinion - he had a toad in his hair, literally -, had done anything that made him deserving of his appreciation, or even respect. Yes, he was Duke of Hell, but what did Crowley care? And there was also, Lord Beelzebub... Lord of the Flies, Crowley liked to call them. That is to say that it was actually not false; with all those tears flies around their head and their short height, it seemed like they almost were one of them. They were the one who took Crowley when he had fallen, but it wasn't like they had done it with any softness or anything. They were a demon, and a demon to the core. So yes, Crowley hated Hell because he hated what lived there.

***

  'Ah, Aziraphale. I was waiting for you,' said Gabriel when he entered. 'I've got news.'
  'What news?' asked Aziraphale, with his usual polite voice.
  'Well, it's about you,' started the archangel. 'And also that the Almighty has made it official that I'm the Supreme Archangel, but that's out of subject right now...'
  'Oh, but I think this is wonderful news!'
  Aziraphale seemed so honestly glad that even Gabriel was surprised.
  'As I said, that's not the point. We need to talk about your stay on Earth. I know, you know you're not allowed to stay down there anymore,' he added. 'But you should be happy. You spent way too much time there, don't you think?'
  'Yes, of course, but...'
  'Aren't you happy to be back home?' the archangel insisted.
  'I am indeed! But there's still this demon, we shouldn't leave him, he may be able to...'
  At this point, Aziraphale was just trying to make up excuses to stay on Earth. He knew the fact that a demon was there caused problems to Heaven, and it was his best chance to be able to make it. Je didn't want to stay in Heaven any longer.
  'There's no need to worry. I've heard the demon was back in Hell, and the source is trustworthy.'
  Aziraphale was struggling to hide his disappointment.

***

  'Look who's back!'
  'Hi, Hasssstur,' whistled Crowley, already significantly annoyed. 'Been contacted by Lord Beelzebub. At least I am still receiving jobs.'
  'Well, at least I don't need someone to give me one,' replied Hastur.
  Crowley turned to him and punched him in the face before continuing his way to Beelzebub's office. In his back, another demon, named Ligur, shouted:
  'And why did you do that?!'
  'It's a bit more demonic in this way than to wish him a good day, don't you think?' answered the Eden snake.
  And he was smiling. It felt so good to be able to beat some arrogant ass sometimes, and Hastur was his favorite. Now he had to go through his interview with the Lord of the Flies. Yes, he really liked the nickname.
  'What have you done again, Crowley?' sighed Beelzebub when they saw his grin.
  'Oh, nothing good, obviously,' replied Crowley with his mischievous smile.  'What was it that you wanted to see me for? I assume it's not because you miss me so deeply.'
  'Ztop being so arrogant, Crowley! But for once, you're right. I did not mizz you at all. Anyways, Hell doesn't especially need an emissary anymore. You're taking back your last job.'
  'But, what about that angel...'
  'He won't be much of a trouble as he's back to Heaven, don't worry. Now go.'
  'One thing, please,' said Crowley. 'Hastur... He's going to make fun of me. Can I be promoted, just to see the look on his face?'
  'You're unbelievable,' sighed the Prince of Hell. 'You're promoted to Duke of Hell, fine. Oh, and, Crowley!' they added as he was leaving. 'Send me a picture of his reaction.'
  'Oh, of course,' he smiled before leaving.
  And when he closed the door, his smile disappeared. What would the angel become without him?