Chapter 3: Another mission

Almighty's narration

  Years passed by, Aziraphale and Crowley were raising Moses. The demon even found himself happy while living this little, human life. He started to understand why humans felt that happiness. Anything, any little thing of the day, a child's laugh, a game in the river, or even taking care of your plants with someone you like, can make you feel more alive. And he did feel it, thanks to Moses and Aziraphale.
  They saw the little boy they had known as a baby grow, becoming a beautiful young boy. It made Crowley proud to see him winning races against his "brother" – though he was not really. Moses didn't know he had been adopted, and I don't think he ever doubted to be pharaoh's son for a second before… Well, before the two entities realized that not telling him about his origins probably was the worst mistake of their life.
  It was one of those days where Moses competed against his brother for a race, Aziraphale and Crowley watching them from an upper place. Amused, Crowley was shouting to encourage his protegee while Aziraphale was more concerned and worried about what could happen. After all, the last time they raced, Moses went straight into a tree and got injured – it was the only time pharaoh's son won, though.
  'Oh, come on, Angel! They're just young, let them have their fun!' Crowley playfully responded, brushing off Aziraphale's concern.
  'Since when do you know what humans should do when they're young?' Aziraphale replied.
  Crowley flashed a mischievous smile and pretended not to hear Aziraphale's remark.
  'After that, do you want to go to the palace with me?'
  'Oh, no, I don't think that's a good idea… But why don't you come to my place instead?' Aziraphale suggested, trying to steer away from potential trouble. 'I have got some wine, and I'll make hummus if you'd like.'
  The demon found himself at a loss for words, his heart racing. He stumbled through his response, managing to accept the invitation. He couldn't quite put his finger on what he was feeling, but it was something new and exhilarating. Aziraphale seemed oblivious to Crowley's internal turmoil and continued to focus on the race.

***

  At night, the two entities were still at Aziraphale's place.
  'You know, I think this side of town is quite good,' Crowley said. 'I could live here.'
  'No you couldn't,' smiled the other. 'Your hair is far too long, and you show too much skin and gold.'
  The demon was laying on the bed, feeling totally at home.
  'And I must say, your new ring is terribly tempting… '
  'This one?' Crowley looked up. 'You can have it if you want.'
  The angel smiled again, looking at his hummus. Crowley sat, waiting for his answer.
  'I can't take something that precious from you, my dear,' he said, visibly embarrassed.
  'Take it, Angel.'
  Crowley took off his ring and put it inside Aziraphale's hand.
  'I-I think I'll get some air.'
  Outside, Aziraphale started to blush. Why did Crowley give him this ring? And, why was he blushing? He looked at the ring, and finally decided to put it on.
  'After all, that's what it's made for…' je muttered.
  'Moses, wait!'
  He heard the shout clearly in the silence of the night and saw Moses running in front of him.
  'Oh, no…'
  Meanwhile, inside, Crowley was waiting for the angel to come back, wondering why he had such a weird reaction to his gift. As he was thinking, Aziraphale entered in a rush.
  'Crowley, it's Moses! He… he met his sister, and she told him he was born a slave!'
  Any other demon would have been glad to hear such news. But something in Aziraphale's tone, the despair in his voice, maybe, made Crowley worry rather than enjoying the situation.
  'Do you know where he is?'
  'No! He ran off before I could explain…'
  'Don't worry, we'll find him. I'll check the palace,' said Crowley before going.

***

  Unfortunately, the boy was nowhere Crowley could think about. Calling out for Moses, Crowley arrived at his temple – because, why wouldn't he be here after all, if he wasn't in the palace –, but who he found there was not Moses.
  'Hello, demon Crowley. I was waiting for you.'
  Aziraphale did not have much more luck than Crowley. He was surrounded by slaves, and couldn't call for Moses too high or he would be discovered. But, even though he was discret, a guard noticed him.
  'Slave! What are you doing?'
  'That's not… I'm just looking for someone…'
  'You should be working!'
  The guard didn't want to hear anything. Aziraphale tried to explain what he was doing, but the guard didn't believe him and hit him with his whip. Hearing the sound, Moses arrived, but when Aziraphale looked up… it was too late.
  'Aziraphale…' Moses muttered. 'He's… he's not breathing, Aziraphale… He's dead…'
  'What did you do?'

***

  'I'm sorry, Angel, I heard you calling me earlier… I was a bit… busy.'
  Crowley was talking from the balcony, turning his back to the angel.
  'I hope it wasn't too important.'
  Aziraphale took a step to Crowley.
  'We need to leave, Crowley. It's Moses… he killed a man who was beating… a slave.'
  This time, Aziraphale was right next to him. But Crowley wouldn't look at him.
  'I can't leave, Angel. But… you should.'
  'What do you mean?'
  Crowley didn't explain. He turned to face Aziraphale, his eyes glowing, as if he was about to transform.
  This aggressive attitude hurt Aziraphale more than any whip or word. The demon he knew would never do that, he thought. Crowley had changed. And, with a last glance of regret, Aziraphale left.
  Crowley waited a moment after Aziraphale was gone, then he fell on the floor. He knew he had hurt him, but it was to protect him. And who he hurt most in this was himself.