Chapter 11: Temptation

By Crowley

  She was quite a girl. Very pious, she was. Courageous, too. Probably very hard to tempt, maybe not, who knows.
  That Joan of Arc was nobody, in the beginning. It really wasn’t obvious why Heaven wanted her at all. I mean, I’ve said she was pious, but nothing exceptional apart from that. But with Michael’s help, she got more and more assurance and power, and with a little miracle from Aziraphale, she soon could convince anyone – who could resist an angelic aura? – and her protection was most needed.
  I kept sending Hell wrong reports, lying at least as much as I was breathing. But still, somebody down there noticed it, and other demons were sent to check on me from time to time. My attempts to tempt the young girl were getting obvious, but I was really running out of ideas, and it’s not like Aziraphale could have helped me.
  I eventually decided to go talk to her by myself, hiding my identity, just like I had done to Eve. I approached her, Aziraphale was doing the most he could – acting as if he hadn’t seen me. I waited for her, knowing damn well she would notice me sitting there beside the road and would come, willing to make me come with her. In fact, her job and mine looked alike.
  She saw me and walked towards me. She stopped in front of me and I looked up at her face. She didn't look like someone who would be able to fight anything. I realized, again, that she was still only a child. Her eyes were kind with a spark of determination and intelligence, and her short hair around her round face made her look special. I believe it was Michael who inspired her to get the haircut – though it’s not their style.
  ‘Bonjour, young lady,’ I smiled.
  ‘Hello, sir,’ she answered.
  Both of us stayed silent for a moment. She didn't plan what she’d say, obviously, and I actually hadn’t too.
  ‘Do you know who I am, sir?’ she asked.
  ‘No?’
  ‘Good,’ she smiled, ‘because it’s not me, but my cause that you should know. Still, I'll tell you my name, so that you can find me if you need. I’m Joan, Joan of Arc, and I’m sent by God to take back the throne of France.’
  ‘And how is a little girl like you planning to do such a thing?’ I asked, amused.
  ‘I am not planning anything. God inspires me to act, and I will do what He tells me.’
  I thought I’d never get used to this pronoun. I mean, why would people want God to be a male so much?! It’s ridiculous!
  ‘Yeah, but if you knew how many liars I met in my life…’
  ‘I don’t lie, it’s a sin. And He doesn’t talk to me directly… His archangel Michael does.’
  ‘How can you be so sure about that?’ I asked, looking straight into her eyes. ‘Maybe you’re just crazy…’
  ‘I am not, and I know you're a demon,’ she smiled. ‘You’re not very good at tempting, you know. Will we meet again?’
  There, I must admit, she had taken me by surprise. How did she even know I was a demon?
  She walked away and I stayed there, stunned. Aziraphale came to me and asked how it went.
  ‘Incredibly… Strange and unpredictable.’
  Even he wondered what it meant.

***

  Aziraphale and I stayed close to her even though she was moving. We were there in every battle, managing to keep her miraculously safe, and of course she recognized me at once. But she didn't denounce me. I guess I wasn't much of an issue for her. Maybe she even knew Aziraphale was an angel. We approached her in a battle and he literally almost got discorporated trying to save her, and I only had enough time to kill the guy before he killed Aziraphale. This time she didn't see me, fortunately.
  Some time after, I found Aziraphale talking with Michael.
  ‘So, you understood? You're going to save her, but only when the flames reach her, not before. Otherwise it will be too obvious,’ they warned him.
  Right. The trial. Joan has been condemned to death by fire, yesterday. I thought we’d have to make a miracle to save her and prove her godly support, but it seems she has to die, or at least people have to think she’s dead.
  ‘Take her to a safe place, away from them, where she can finish her life peacefully. I have to go back to Heaven, you’ll receive new instructions afterwards, probably.’
  ‘Alright.’
  I was there with the mission to make sure she’d die, but actually, I won't say I liked her, but still, I'd learned to appreciate her. Knowing Heaven wanted her to live was a great excuse to let her go. When we were alone again, I approached Aziraphale.
  ‘Save the girl, now, Angel?’
  ‘Oh, please, I must obey. You know that,’ he added, looking at me. ‘I’d like nothing else but that, my dear.’
  ‘Don’t do that to me, I've heard you, you’ll be saving her!’
  I stared into his eyes.
  ‘I can help, if you like,’ I proposed.
  ‘No, I mean, it has to be angelic,’ he protested.
  ‘I can grow the flames so she doesn’t get burned at all, but I was only suggesting.’
  ‘Oh, Crowley, you’d really do that?’
  His eyes were sparkling in delight.
  ‘Of course.’

–––––––––

Soooooo, first day of the month, new chapter as I promised! I lacked inspiration, so I'm sorry if it's bad...