Chapter 66

Chapter 66

Cleo felt several of her ribs break as soon as she fell through the portal, which was somehow a good thirty feet above the sandy dune of the desert that stretched out all around her. Her breath caught in her lungs, heart hammering in her ears, and there was no way she could move without having a sound come out of her mouth.

Her magic flared after several moments of silence before her groan finally escaped, turning into a whimper. She stayed completely still as it swept through, healing every break and bruise, dissipating the fogginess that had flooded her mind.

She wasn't the only one who had landed hard in the sand judging by the groans to her right.

Eamon was the first one she noticed, struggling to push himself up on his hands and knees, sand coating his skin and hair. He looked completely out of it as he looked up, his gaze distant and trying to focus on everything around him.

Elys, the only other person she could see, was pushing himself up in the sand, staring up at the swirling portal above them. He was yelling as soon as he saw it swirling closed, screaming at the top of his lungs for Dessa.

She was nowhere to be seen.

Neither were Adeena and Destan.

Or Milena and Archer.

Cleo struggled to wrap her head around what had happened over that last hour.

The world that was dying.

Seeing Fin again and how he'd brought darkness to everything he touched.

But now, as she sat up in the sand, hearing Elys still yelling for Dessa, Eamon trying to right himself just as she was, all she could focus on was what was happening in the distance.

At the storm that rolled in from across the sea.

And toward a city they were familiar with.