Chapter 55

Chapter 55

Corliss stood by herself at the gated entrance of the Palrion Archive, having not opened to the public yet. It was early enough that only a few people were walking in, mostly scholars and a few archivists. With the Archive being part of the oldest section of Palrion, the towering building was made of weathered stone with tiled roofs that glistened in the early morning sunlight. From what she knew, the structure was thousands of years old, holding texts from all three lands in their world and was rumored to have a special section for others not many have access to.

The archivists were the ones who interested Corliss the most, both female and male, young and old. She eyed their robes of different colors, from the palest gray to brightest blue, and saw a glint of gold on their fingers, some with colorful stones and others just simple bands, representing their specialties. She spotted only one with his adorned with what looked like a knotted heart with a clear diamond in the center – the Palrion Heart, only worn by those who have mastered all subjects.

The male archivist smiled as he approached the gates, unlocking it with a wave of his hand and a spark of magic. "I'm usually not opening these gates for eager public scholars this early in the morning," he said to her in a quiet, calm voice, his hair gray, and dressed in bright blue robes.

Corliss stepped forward into the outer courtyard. "I was hoping to speak with someone who knew about...the darker subjects of magic...and I knew this would be the place."

"Where do you come from, child?" he asked, raising a brow.

"Dalcaine. Eld, specifically. My name is Corliss Lucerra."

The surname had his eyes widening as he bowed his head slightly. "It is an honor to meet you, Lady Corliss. Even here in Ethran, we still know the histories of the ruling Dalcaine families. My name is Talib and I would be happy to help you in your research."

Corliss took his offered arm as he turned toward the building and walked with her to the front steps. She noticed the Palrion Heart ring on his thumb. What luck she had with meeting him first since she knew he would be one of the most well-versed scholars in the complex.

"We get many travelers, including from your homeland, but I must say I'm surprised that you're here," Talib continued as they began their ascent up the steps. "As I said before, I know of your family and their history. I'm surprised by your interests, though."

She looked around, searching for any listening ears, but there were still so few people inside the entryway that they were basically alone. "Apologies, but do you mind if we talk about this in a private place?"

He nodded his head once. "Of course. Would you like to look around first, or...?"

Talib didn't have time to finish his sentence once they made it through the archway entrance into the massive library. Corliss's mouth dropped open in awe as she stared. Never did she imagine the image before her – dozens upon dozens of floor to ceiling bookcases, multiple levels, beautiful stained glass windows, and a domed glass ceiling that let sunlight filter in from above. Tables for studying were placed throughout with lamps in the center, slowly filling with scholars coming in for studying.

Talib guided her toward a locked door set between the next set of shelves and a floor-to-ceiling window. However, whenever he opened it with a spark of ancient magic, it didn't lead outside but to a set of stone steps that led down into the depths of darkness. Another flicker of magic and lanterns illuminated.

"Come, child," Talib smiled at her. "Very few have the ability to see the texts that are held down here."

She did nothing but nod, trying to swallow down her fear of what might be down there, her bag containing the grimoire weighing her down.