14 - Grace

After avoiding Ryatt for the last three days, Mattie and I spent four hours wandering around the Hidden Hills mall. It was so nice to be out of the house and not have to constantly look over my shoulder. It was the first time since moving here that I felt like I could let my guard down and be myself.

"I can't believe that boy gave me his number," I whispered, causing Mattie to giggle.

"He was hot too."

"The best part is he's new, so he's not some pretentious jerk under the Ransom spell." We stepped outside as the sun was sinking below the buildings. "I'm so tired," I whined as I looked up to take in Mattie's Honda Civic. I nearly tripped over my own feet when I noticed the sleek black classic car parked next to her. "Shit," I muttered.

"What?" Mattie glanced in the direction I was staring.

"That's got to be some random coincidence, right?" I asked, feeling like all my blood was leaving my body.

"Let's just get out of here before we have to deal with his cult of bitches."

I nodded, sliding into the passenger side of her car. She shoved the key into the ignition, turning it and... nothing.

"Does it do this a lot?" I asked. Mattie just shook her head. I let my eyes fall closed as I murmured a few curse words. My eyes drifted past Mattie to see Ryatt stalking across the lot, looking like he'd just stepped off a runway.

I got out of the car, glaring over at him.

"What's wrong, Kitten?" he asked, a ghost of a smirk on his lips.

"Mattie's car won't start."

"Pop the hood." He tapped on the hood and Mattie pulled the lever so it would release. He slid his hand in his pocket pulling out a small part and sliding it back into place. "Try it now," he barked loud enough for Mattie to hear.

"How do you know about cars? I didn't think people like you ever got their hands dirty."

"I can get very dirty," he muttered, almost bored.

My mouth hung open as I glared at him. "Why would you mess with her vehicle?"

"I had to make sure you were behaving yourself."

"Are you stalking me now?"

"Now?" he asked as if it wasn't obvious he had always been. He leaned forward, his voice gravelly next to my ear. "I'm always watching you, Grace." As he pulled back his eyes ran over my face.

"You're crazy."

"Certifiable." He slammed the hood before walking to his car and pausing before getting inside. "Erase that kid's number, or I'll erase his fucking face." He slipped inside of his car, the engine roaring to life.

I hurried up and got back to the passenger side of Mattie's old beater.

"What did he say?" she asked. I turned to take in Ryatt's profile, as he tapped something out on his phone.

"Just a dirty sparkplug," I muttered as my phone buzzed. It was a message from Ryatt that read –Have her drop you off 24 Church Street.

I hadn't even thought of where to tell her I lived. I looked back at him, meeting his gaze before nodding once.

"Where to?"

"Um... 24 Church Street."

Mattie typed the address in her phone, and we drove off toward the edge of town. We made plans to hang out again sometime soon as she pulled up out front of a small gray home with white trim and a red door, complete with a picket fence around the yard.

"Is this it?" Mattie asked and I shrugged.

"Um... yeah. Home sweet home." I opened the door, looking up and down the street for Ryatt's car but it was nowhere. Reluctantly, I stepped out onto the street and waved her away, forcing a smile.

I watched as her taillights disappeared before yanking out my phone and typing out a message to Ryatt that said – Where are you?

He replied immediately –Behind you.

I spun around, my eyes landing on Ryatt standing in the doorway of the house. I opened the gate and trudged across the yard toward him.

"Where are we?" I asked as I reached him. He stepped aside, giving me room to enter. I did, walking past him and into what I assumed was a living room, but it was empty. I turned back toward him. "What is this place?"

"My home." He shoved his hands in his pockets. "I bought it with my own money."

"Seriously?" I asked, impressed. "Does your dad know?"

Ryatt clenched his jaw, shaking his head.

"I won't say anything."

"I know you won't. You're the only person I've ever met that can actually keep a secret." Ryatt took two large steps, closing the gap between us. My eyes were locked on his, uncertain of what he was going to do. I gasped when my phone was tugged from my hand.

"What are you doing?"

"Deleting that kid's number from your phone. Guys his age only think about one thing."

"Oh, yeah? What's that?" I asked as his thumb tapped away on my screen. "And how do you know my passcode?"

"Fucking," his eyes met mine. "I know everything about you, Kitten."

I scowled, holding out my hand. "Trevor is the same age as you," I pointed out.

Ryatt's eyes narrowed on the screen, his jaw clenching. "I know. I speak from experience."

"W-what's wrong?"