✧ ˚ 𝐢𝐱. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐞

✧ ˚ 𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐀 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄'𝐒 𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃 on her hands and in her hair even as Alis poured steaming water over her, the water of the bath turning a muted red

✧ ˚ 𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐀 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄'𝐒 𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃 on her hands and in her hair even as Alis poured steaming water over her, the water of the bath turning a muted red. Feyre sat in the far corner of the lavatory, concerned blue eyes keeping careful watch over her expressionㅡor the lack of one. She could hear them murmuring to each other, but the sound came out muted as if she was underwater.

Alis brushed her hair away from her face gently, but it did nothing to ease the storm that was inside of her. She said something else to Feyre, before leaving the room quietly.

She stared down at the muted red water despondently as silence filled the lavatory. Her eyes were swollen and red, but there were no tears in sight. She'd cried all that she could cry.

Asteria didn't lift her gaze even as Feyre whispered softly, not thinking she'd hear. "You'll be happy again. I'll make sure of it."

When? she wanted to demand, wanted to scream into that everlasting void that hungered to consume her. But Asteria was smart enough to know that Feyre wouldn't have an answer, no matter how much both wish she did.

Instead of speaking, she allowed herself to sink further into the water, wishing she could be washed away.

✧ ˚  ·    .         ·  ˚ ✧

It was nearing noon when they began their descent of the stairs. Asteria paused in front of the room that the faerie had died in, the memory of his screams echoing in her ears. His blood had been cleaned from the table and flooring, and other than the disappearance of the vase that had been broken, it was like none of it had ever happened.

Realizing she was no longer keeping up, Feyre returned to her side, ushering her away from the memory that had left a stain on her soul.

Tamlin and Lucien emerged from another wing as they entered the hall, discussing another border patrol. They fell silent when they saw the sisters, and Lucien strode out of the manor without so much of a nod of greeting. Frowning, Asteria barely hesitated to follow after himㅡnot like she would have done before, waiting for Feyre's encouragement.

Lucien was mounting his horse as Feyre and Tamlin's waited patiently, and Asteria noted the presence of a fourth. It was the same black gelding she'd ridden the day they encountered the Bogge.

He nickered softly as she approached, and Asteria looked up at Lucien, who'd been watching her carefully with a passive expression. "Are you... okay?" Her voice was quiet, but there was no doubt the male heard with his enhanced Fae senses.

"Fine," Lucien all but snapped. Asteria blinked, hurt marring her expression. He sighed, running a hand over his face. "I apologize. The Blight has been affecting the lands exponentially worse as of late, and the stress is just now catching up. I suppose you'd know now with..." he trailed off as if he was saying something he shouldn't.