13. Kaiden

Will is four drinks in and thinks that going to a club that has ping pong tables is a good idea. It isn't. We're both nearing thirty years old and do not belong in clubs, especially clubs that have extracurricular activities, i.e. ping pong tables. 

His wife Lisa is out with us tonight though, and she seems to have the secret touch that calms the wilderness in him. One hand on the thigh and he's distracted, talking about TV sports instead of small table ones. 

"Bet Kaiden didn't tell you he went to a club on Saturday. An actual night club." 

"Will," I practically growl. 

Lisa raises an eyebrow. 

"I'm looking into the guy who owns it." 

"And his girlfriend," Will sings. 

"She's not his girlfriend." 

I'm not sure why I feel the need to defend her. Will and Lisa take too much interest in the words, both leaning forward in their chairs. 

The pub is small, a local near their house. Usually Will and I use this time to catch up, but we've been bringing Lisa for the past few months too, to get her out of the house. She moved here to be closer to him and therefore hasn't found herself making any local friends - says that women in their late twenties either have kids or are trying for them, and she and Will aren't quite there yet.

Looking at him eye up the bottle of Sambuca on the bar, I can't imagine why. 

"So what is she?" 

Million dollar question. I've got no fucking idea.

"I shouldn't take about a case," I say instead. 

"But it's not an official case." 

I glance to Lisa - a signature this guy, really? look on my face that she's seen countless times before. But she seems amused by him, laughing at his jokes, holding onto one of his arms when he gets up mumbling about the aforementioned Sambuca. 

"We don't have to talk about work," Lisa states simply. "I don't want to know anything illegal, Kade, you know that. Leave us out of it." 

"As always," I grumble, falling into line. 

Lisa can be a bit of a drill sergeant. Keeps Will in check, because God knows someone needs to. Packs his lunch for him, writes him a list of chores for the week - and he does them, on time, every time - and makes her approval of his friends known. 

She likes me, somehow. Doesn't like many of the others, they're not allowed in the house. I can't say I blame her, seeing as Will meets most of his friends when he's drunk off his ass or trying to sell them water filtration systems at work. His friends are either nutcases, or boring old men who care about how filtered their water is. There is no in between. I'm the only one who managed to last from childhood - he scared all the others away. 

I guess I don't scare so easily. 

"What're you doing outside of work these days, anyway?" She asks. "How's your lovely mum?" 

"Outside of work? Kaiden?" Will snorts. 

I have the sudden urge to punch him in the head. 

"I like work." 

"Yes, Kade, we understand that your life is perfect and that you love your company and that you don't need anything other than work or your lack of social life, ever." 

"Be nice," Lisa warns her husband. 

Will's eyes twinkle. 

"I am nice, I'm being serious."