11th of february 1991 ☆

I woke up with a raging hangover. It felt like a million hammers were smashing right into my forehead. My eyes wandered over to the vodka bottle beside my bed, there was only a quarter left of it. I wasn't even 16, for God's sake, what was I thinking? Speaking of sixteenth birthday's, Gary's was coming up but it wasn't like I was going to be invited.

I hauled myself out of bed and went straight to my record player. I sifted through the albums i owned until I found Louder than Bombs by The Smiths. This had been my favourite album for some time now, I could really relate with Morrisey's sullen tone and words.

The other day I had bumped into Phil outside the corner shop, he'd told me that he and Gary had been recruited by Manchester United, great for them. I just wished it had been Gary telling me the news.

I wandered downstairs to an empty house, my parents had been away for a few days on business. There was two letters awaiting me at the doorstep. One was about British Gas and the other just said Cerise x on it.

I swiftly opened it, excited to see what it was all about. I never got the joy of receiving a letter about anything really, that was definitely a perk of having no mates.

I flipped it open and was greeted with familiar, boyish hand writing. The letter read:

Dear Cerise,

I hope you're okay, well I know your getting along fine. Phil has told me so. He also told me you gave me your best wishes for the future when he told you about Man United. I'm sorry the last time we spoke ended that way. I hope you know that I never wanted to upset you. Anyways, I was wondering if you want to come to my sixteenth birthday party? It's tonight. Don't worry, I totally won't be surprised if you don't come.

Love from,
Gary xx

First of all, I was slightly confused about why he'd invited me. Also, I was nervous about seeing all his new friends. Atleast Phil and Tracey would be there.

I was in a rush to plan my outfit and actually get mentally prepared, he didn't even give me any notice which made it harder. About half an hour before I set off, I applied some mascara and lip gloss and slipped into the blue dress I'd chosen.

I sat on the bottom step and forced my feet into my new Adidas Sambas. I walked down my street, past the corner shop and on to Gary's street. I gulped as I gently tapped on the door, seeing Phil's silhouette behind it.

The door swung open and I took a step back.
"Hiya Ginge." Phil smiled, I rolled my eyes.
"Alright Phil." I nodded back. "Oi, Ginge is 'ere!" He called out to Gary. "Who? Oh, is it Paul?" Gary responded from the other room.

That definitely didn't hurt. Phil shot me an apologetic glance before letting me past.
"No, Ginge as in Cerise." Phil guided me into the living room.

"Hi Red." Gary looked up from the boys (plus Tracey) and gave me half smile. A wave of anxiety swept over me as I wondered where I was going to sit. There was no space near Gary or Tracey. My only choice was to sit inbetween the blonde boy or the boy with curly black hair.

That was until Phil sat down, he tapped the gap next to him. "Thanks Phil." I whispered, shuffling into the space.