Chapter 12

Joker stared at the screen curiously, eyes ghosting over every detail of the therapist Bruce had picked out for him. Doctor Bailey.

Apparently she was a previous criminal in Blüdhaven, who had reformed and pursued a therapy career, working on reforming other criminals. Honestly, her criminal record was boring compared to Joker's. He wasn't afraid to say as much.

"One murder and, like, six armed robberies is hardly a criminal, Bruce" Joker rolled his eyes as the other man ignored him, looking back at the screen. "She has 'reformed a total of six previous criminals in her career so far'. What did they commit to wind up with her, forgery?" Joker giggled to himself, rolling his eyes at this 'impressive' information.

"Come on, Jack, this is the eleventh therapist I've had to find. At least you can relate to her on a minimal level" Bruce sighed, running his hands through his hair at the stress of it all. "If I have to do this therapy stuff, I want the best of the best!" Joker huffed, crossing his arms in a pout. 

"You requested tea, Master Jack?" Alfred hummed as he walked into the cave, holding a tray of tea for both of the occupants in the room. Joker turned his head with a happy smile. "Alfie!! Tell Batsy here that he needs to look for a different therapist again, hm?" 

"Jack! Come on, she's perfect!" Bruce yelled incredulously, earning a humoured laugh from the butler as he placed the tea down in front of the two. "Master Bruce, maybe it would be easier if you simply scheduled a test trial with each therapist, rather than having Jack read at a screen to guess their personalities? He will never know the right fit unless he has actually talked to them"

Joker giggled softly, wrapping an arm around Bruce teasingly. "Looks like daddy is making more sense right now than you are!"

Bruce let out a grunt of shame at not coming up with that obvious idea himself. "Would you book a few appointments, Alfred?" "Certainly, sir" the older man nodded softly, walking off to do just that.

Joker picked up his mug of tea, humming happily at the warmth the liquid provided on his tongue. "So, Brucie, what's the plan now?"

"Actually, I was wondering if you would feel comfortable...leaving the manor?" 

Joker's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean? Like...back into Gotham?" "Yes. I will be with you the whole time, and we can come back here whenever you ask" Bruce spoke softly, watching Joker's expression carefully for any sign of a negative reaction. "What would we be doing?"

"I need your help at tracking down Nigma"

~~~~

Joker wore a pair of pink leggings, a green crop top and a purple cardigan. He knew it wasn't particularly necessary, after all, he wasn't going against anyone tonight, but he held a knife taped against his left arm.

He was forced to promise Bruce he would only use it in an absolute emergency, but it made him feel safer in the shady city that was Gotham. The batmobile was warm, Bruce speeding down the street to a location Joker had given him. It made Joker feel giddy, being with Batman once again in the city. Granted, they weren't fighting on a dingy rooftop, passionately dancing with blades and well timed punches. Still, it made Joker realize just how long it had been.

Two months. One with Harvey Dent, one with Bruce Wayne. Batman. Who he was sat next to, no animosity between them. It was weird to think, just how much the dynamic between them had changed. Or how much Joker himself had changed. "We're here" Bruce spoke, breaking Joker out of his musing. 

"Okay. Eddy's safehouse is a few blocks down. There's that abandoned church just there, wait for us and I'll bring him to you"

"Wouldn't it be easier if I brought you to his safehouse?"

"Batsy, darling" Joker chuckled, looking towards Bruce with a gleam in his eyes. "We may be friends now, but I'm not a snitch! You'd have to pry any of my old foe's locations out of my cold, dead brain! Now, I'll meet you in half an hour, at most!"

"Wait" Bruce quickly spoke, gently grasping Joker's arm to stop him from stepping out of the car. Joker looked towards Bruce, expression softer and warm and so unlike the old Joker that it gave Bruce a giddy swirl of affection in his heart. "I'll be okay, my love" Joker smiled, reading Bruce's thoughts.

"Okay. Stay in the shadows, be careful" Bruce hummed, knowing Joker would, but it made him feel better reminding him. 

~~~

Joker ran through the streets, giggling at the wind flowing through his hair and the rush it gave him. He had missed this. He felt more anger towards Harvey then he thought he possibly could, just at him taking away this pleasure. For making him scared to walk his Gotham streets.

He saw a familiar run down apartment building coming into view, crossing the empty street with a happy sigh. He stopped in front of the door, suddenly overwhelmed with hesitance. The mix of feelings pooled in his chest angrily, as his fingers subconsciously moved to scratch at his arm. Only, he hissed as it aggravated his wounds from a week prior. It was annoying him how he couldn't get that relief.

Forced with nothing else to do, and not wanting to keep his Brucie waiting, he walked into the building's main door. He walked to the familiar apartment on auto-pilot, knocking on the door with tense apprehension. "Just a second!" That familiar voice that Joker had so, so missed called out, and that worry suddenly left his body when the door opened. 

Edward's eyes widened, and for a moment the two only stared at eachother. Scared to come close, yet so very desperate to. "Hi, Eddy..." Joker spoke, and that only broke the dam then. The smaller man pulled him into the tightest hug, the breath escaping the clown as he quickly hugged back. "Jokes, God, I was so worried"

"Awe, Eddy..." Joker could feel his top growing wet with silent tears, and he only held the man close...and maybe fought his own tears away. They stayed like that for a while, basking in the silence of eachother, but eventually Edward pulled away. He wiped his eyes, trying to be discreet about it despite the evidence having soaked the front of Joker's top. It made the clown laugh softly, gentle for the quiet atmosphere they had fell into.

"How have you been?"  Riddler found himself asking, leading Joker into his apartment properly now. Both sat on the couch, side by side as if afraid they would be separated again. "I've been worse" Joker chuckled, resting his head on the other mans shoulder. "I've been getting better with Batsy. I agreed to let him rehabilitate me"

Edward let out a small huff of disbelief as he let his arm drape around Joker's waist. "How's that been going?" "Not as bad as I thought it would be. It's had its ups and downs, though. Right now, he's looking for a therapist for me"

Riddler nodded softly, letting out a small hum of acknowledgement as his fingers gently traced small circles into Joker's side. "From Arkham?" "Obviously not" Edward laughed, and Joker had felt his own lips quiver at how much he had missed that sound. He took in a shaky breath, snuggling closer into the body next to him. "Actually, I...need a favour"

"What is it this time, Jokes?" Riddler asked softly, leaning his head into those green locks of hair. Joker just let them be for a moment, with no responsibilities and no outside world. He had missed his best friend to pieces, and right now all he wanted was a fucking cuddle.

Due to the silence, Riddler instantly knew what this was about. "It's something about the Bat, isn't it?" He asked with annoyance.

Joker giggled, quiet and tiny and so relaxed that he could almost fall asleep, but he wouldn't. Not when his Darling Batsy was waiting for him. "Guilty is charged. Batsy has been trying to bring down Harvey, and I'll fucking scream if Two-Face is free for another second" Joker growled, and Edward could hardly contain the fondness in his voice. "So he needs my statement?"

"Pretty much. He talked to Harl's before, got the video footage and all that jazzy stuff, but it's not been giving him many leads. Harvey is being one sneaky son of a bitch. I have Batsy waiting in the church down the block, so whenever you're ready, we can go"

"...just five more minuets" Riddler whispered, caresses against Joker's skin so gentle and longing that it makes Joker feel nostalgic.

Joker couldn't refuse that. He needed those five minuets as well.