Chapter 4

Bruce sighed, running his fingers through his hair. He was in the Batcave, only an hour after his and Jokers last conversation. He wasn't sure how to approach this situation, all he knew was that Joker needed help. Help that Arkham Asylum couldn't give him.

Joker was vulnerable, acting out as a way to cope with that vulnerability. "Sir?" A voice came from behind him, and Bruce turned around to face Alfred. In his hand was a silver tray, cutlery and his dinner laid on top. "Thanks, Alfred" He offered a small smile as the butler placed the tray in front of him. 

"Any progress with our patient?" Alfred asked softly, reading his adoptive son like a book. "I think that Harvey put Joker under some sort of torture. He had said that during that bank heist last month, Two-face had knocked him out and taken him from the scene. That's all he could tell me before breaking down"

"Did you ask about his eye, sir?"

Both Alfred and Bruce had noticed that in the conversations they had with Joker, his left eye seemed to drift. Like it wouldn't move or focus with command, yet his right eye could focus on them perfectly. Now that Bruce knew why, it made sense, but it left a terrible feeling within his stomach.

"His left eye, he says, is blind. He wouldn't tell me how it happened, but I intend to find out" Bruce answered. "Dear God. Lord knows that Joker can definitely be an exception, but no one deserves to go through such a thing" Alfred sighed, seemingly troubled for their patient as well.

"He had a bit of a fit, so I left him to calm down, told him I would be back at four, just before patrol" Bruce sighed, beginning to pick up his fork and dig into his food.

"If I may, Master Bruce...when do you plan to tell the others?" Alfred asked, and Bruce halted his movements. Telling Dick and Tim would be hard, but they would warm up to the idea eventually. Barbara, though, would be harder. After all, Joker was the reason she was paralysed from the waist down. Bruce wasn't sure she would ever forgive him.

Once again reading his thoughts, Alfred gently grasped the others shoulder. "I'm sure Miss Barbara would come around eventually sir, but she would be even more upset if she wasn't told at all"

Alfred was right, as always. "I'll tell them after Patrol tonight. Ask all three to visit the tower at six." "Very well, sir" With that, the older man took his leave. 

Once again left with his thoughts, Bruce busied himself with finishing his meal. 

*****

Bruce walked back inside of the medical room, this time equipped with the Batsuit. Joker had seemingly been waiting for him, sat in the corner of the room quietly. "Joker"

Joker looked up, nodding softly in the others direction. Batman decided to sit next to the other, leaving a suitable distance between them. The silence between them wasn't as uncomfortable as this morning, this one was almost peaceful. Joker let out a sigh, and Bruce found himself listening to the other mans breathing. One, two. One, two. It was a small rhythm that Batman found himself subconsciously matching.  

"He had drilled two holes into my skull, and had put two metal rods into the holes. He electrified them, just to see what it would do to me. He did it at least once every two days. One day though, he shoved the left rod too far. When he electrocuted them..." Joker spoke softly, and Bruce listened. "I haven't been able to see through that eye since"

Bruce could feel nothing but angry. How could someone do that to someone else? "I'm sorry" Is all the Bat could manage to say. "I don't want your pity. I only want to take you up on your offer" Joker spat. "What offer?" "To make Harvey Dent pay"

Bruce could understand that. In a twisted sort of way, he could put himself in the other mans shoes and would wish the same thing. "After this I'll be looking for him. You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to, but locations, last known whereabouts. Those would help"

"He held me in the abandoned warehouse where Oswald's old cash den was. Harley helped me escape. If you need someone to question, it would be her" Joker spoke. "Why wasn't Harley with you when I found you?"

"I told her to leave me alone. She was asking all these questions, like what he did and why he took me. I just didn't want to deal with it" Joker explained, and Bruce could tell that none of this was a carefully spun lie, much like he kind of expected. "How did she even find you?"

"I don't know and I don't care. I'm just glad she did"

Silence befell them once again. He knew he wouldn't get everything out of Joker straight away. It would be a slow process, and he wouldn't force anything unless he absolutely needed to. "I have something for you" Batman said, and Joker finally turned to face him. His face was curious, wondering what it could be.

Bruce pulled out a notebook and crayons, sliding them in front of the other. "It's not much, I know. But I know this room doesn't offer much, and I don't yet trust you to walk around the manor. You can do whatever you want with it. Draw, write, whatever you need to do"

Joker just looked at Batman with a look that showed what the other was thinking. It was an unspoken word between them, but Bruce could read the 'thank you' in the others expression. 

"I'll be back tomorrow. I'll let you know anything I find out. In the meantime, Alfred will check up on you every few hours, so if you need anything, just ask him" Batman said as he stood back up. 

"Okay" Joker nodded, not leaving his place on the floor, but Bruce didn't mind. "Bye Batsy"

Bruce left without answering. His mind was on another person. He needed to find Two-Face, and for that, he needed Harley Quinn.