Chapter 26

Jack and Harley fled the scene from the back entrance, fleeing to one of Harley's hide-outs close by. "You need a change of clothes, hun?" 

"If you have some, yeah. I don't really want to show up like...this" Jack gestured to the blood coating him, feeling shameful for even having to ask. 

"Of course, Puddin'. And listen, you did what you had to do. Two-face hurt you, hurt me, Eddy, Bats, the bird-brains. He hurt those you care about"

"But I promised him, Harls. Promised him I wouldn't kill anyone. I...broke that promise. He will never forgive me"

"Jacky, you know I love ya, so shut the fuck up and listen to me for just a sec" Harley dead-panned, just as they walked inside the building. "You were, or are, I don't really know. But you WERE The Joker. You probably have more kills on your belt than all the criminals of Gotham combined. You had crippled Batgirl, had tortured that old Robin. And still. Still Bat-Brain took you under his wing. Cared for you, let you around his family. Despite everything you have done, he trusted you. You even gave up your last chance to be Joker. You agreed to rehabilitation, just to make Batman happy. Do you really think Bats will isolate you, for one murder that was obviously an exception because it wasn't a random Gothamite. It wasn't this random person you picked up on the street. It was Harvey Dent. The man who did you wrong, the man who hurt others just to hurt you. Who degraded you, made you into this sex toy that he had wrapped around his slimy finger."

"Yeah, Okay, Harls I get it. No need to describe it like that" Jack rolled his eyes, but listened all the same. 

"Well, still! Bat-brain may be an idiot, but he isn't enough of an idiot to know that this was what you needed. Because you've changed, Puddin'." Harley's voice grew softer now. "You're a better man. I love you more than anything, you know that. But you ruined my life" Jack's features twisted with guilt, and Harley only laughed at that. "And that is just what I mean! You feel guilt, now. You love those around you. It's not just a weird obsession with the Bat, now. It's not using Eddy and me for your own gain. You love us. You care for us. You saved us!"

"I... think I get what you mean"

"And that, too! Acknowledgement. You realize you've changed! Why do you think you keep fighting with yourself? You don't want to be Joker anymore. You don't want to be associated with the clown that killed millions, the clown who manipulated his Arkham Asylum therapist into joining his cause, the clown who blew up thousands of miles of Gotham just for the attention of Batman. And that is SO fucking sexy"

Jack laughed then, small and trembling at the connotations of her words, but he understood. "Oh, shut up"

"But you get what I mean! Batman won't toss you away for this. If he was as smart and perfect as you've always made him out to be, he will understand"

"...Thank you, Harls."

"No problem. Now stop with your self-loathing and get fucking dressed. They all need you"

And Jack felt okay enough to do just that.

~~~~~~~

When Jack returned to the manor, Selina and Alfred were gathering medical supplies together. "Master Jack. You did amazing"

"Thanks, Alfie. How are they?"

"Bruce? He will be just fine. I ran a drug test and nothing concerning is in his bloodstream. He mainly just needs to sleep the remaining effects off. Dick, after having his wounds treated to will be just fine as well. The most of his injuries was a broken nose."

"Tim seems fine as well. With lots of rest, he should recover. It didn't seem like the electro-therapy had any lasting side effects" Selina spoke, but there was one name that hadn't yet been mentioned. That made Jack's heart feel heavy.