𝟎𝟏: 𝐇𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐂𝐨𝐨𝐥

𝙱𝚘𝚢𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚐𝚒𝚛𝚕𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚊𝚐𝚎,
𝚆𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚎𝚎 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎?
𝙲𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚞𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚜𝚎𝚎,
𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚜, 𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚝𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚘𝚏 𝙷𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚗.

𝙲𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚣𝚎𝚗𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝙷𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚗 – 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚒𝚜 𝙷𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚗

❞𝙲𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚣𝚎𝚗𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝙷𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚗 – 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚒𝚜 𝙷𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚗

"Someone is coming."

That was Maisie's younger sister, Sophie. She was looking out the window. 

"Come on, Sophie, you know that no one will come by," Maisie told her. It was kind of embarassing, feeling like they were the only ones on the block that didn't celebrate Halloween. 

It wasn't like they didn't have plenty of money, they did, it was just that their mother refused to celebrate Halloween for reasons that she refused to indulge in. She also refused to let her children out to go trick-r-treating as well. 

It got to the point that the neighborhood knew to avoid the lame and not-so-fun house.

Maisie was trying to get in the Halloween spirit by reading her Shivers collection of books. 

"Yeah, you know better than that," Dylan agreed. He wore glasses and had his button-up shirt tucked in. He was big on normality. He carried a book with him.

Maisie's twin sister, Marnie and their mother ran down the stairs.

"But Mom, it's just a costume party," Marnie pleded. "I'll even take Mai with me." It was a nickname for Maisie. "The whole world is going. If we don't go, we'll be freaks."

Maisie knew it was a losing battle, even though she was impressed Marnie got their friends to come to try and get their mother to change her mind. She wanted to go so badly, because her crush, Jack, was going, but again, it was a losing battle. It was a hill that Gwen Piper will die on and be buried in.

"You know, the odds were 50% that I'd get one normal sister," Dylan said.

Maisie glared at him and Marnie pushed him over as she, Gwen, and their friends made their way into the living room.

"Mom, we're thirteen. We're practically grown-ups," Marnie pleaded.

"I like to think that we can certainly be allowed to make some choices," Maisie added. She did it because Marnie would be annoyed that she didn't try or stand with Marnie.

Marnie said, "Right?"

"Yeah," a girl in a clown costume agreed, "I guess so."

The girl in the witch costume asked the girl in the clown costume, "Is there an age for that?"