Part 3 - Trust

Why does Kurapika want to know so much about them all of a sudden? There's another moment of silence.

"You can tell me," Kurapika mumbles. He looks like he really wants Y/n to trust him.

Y/n's face turns red, almost like they're embarrassed by their answer.

"Y/n, how about this? We can strike a deal. Your reason for mine. Does that meet your satisfaction?" Kurapika is entirely serious when asking this. He always is, but it's especially apparent now. His reason must also be deeply personal.

"I need... to get stronger."

"Stronger? You're strong already."

Y/n goes quiet again. They are grabbing onto Kurapika's shoulders tightly, showing their anxiety over this subject. "I don't want to talk about it," they whisper.

"Fine. Don't tell me. That's your choice. But now you'll only get a basic answer from me."

"Oh?"

"Yes. I seek revenge. That's my goal."

"You're not going to tell me why?"

Kurapika smirks at Y/n's question.

"You little.." Y/n ruffles their hair, messing it up.

"Hey, don't do that!" Kurapika moves Y/n, moving them to almost a bridal carry, staring at them with a red, annoyed face.

Y/n laughs softly to themself, "I don't feel bad."

"I know you don't. Now I have to fix this."

Y/n gets sat next to a tree, while Kurapika pulls out a comb and fixes his hair. His face is red the entire time. Y/n realizes he's not wearing his kimono, but decides not to mention it. He probably just got hot while running.

"Aww, you're so red... Not used to being messed with?" Y/n teases, laughing to themself.

Kurapika turns his back to Y/n, not wanting to engage further.

After he's done combing his hair, he puts you on his back again, he begins jogging, before noticing a strange silhouette in the fog. There's some people arguing. Kurapika sits you down again, and watches them discuss behind the bushes.

"We will spare your life if you swear to never take the hunter exam again!"

There's a crowd of people surrounding an interesting looking person. #44.

"Okay, I'll just pass it this year," 44 replies.

He's quite cocky for someone who looks like a clown, but Kurapika seems very defensive as well. Dangerous clown.

"Are you kidding? There's no way you'll find the main pack with all of this fog! We've all failed!"

"Ah, so having already failed, you wish to play examiner," 44 once again replies, "hunters require prey, so how about I play examiner? And judge whether you're hunter material or not?"

Suddenly, the men lunge at 44 with their weapons, planning on attack. But with one swift circular movement, 44 manages to end all their lives, except one. A fearful number 76.

"H-help.. Help!"

He gets stabbed in the back with a card.

Y/n looks over at Kurapika, who looks stunned. They notice that Leorio is there too, also in shock. Wait, he was there the whole time. They were still dizzy.

"Well..?" 44 looks back at the three, while pulling the card out of 76's back, making Kurapika and Leorio tense, "want to play.. examiner?"

44 starts walking towards the group.

"Leorio," Kurapika whispers, breaking the silence, "On my signal, we run in opposite directions."

"What?"

"He's more experienced in combat and we don't stand a chance. We can't afford to waste our time in a pointless fight.

They go quiet again, the tension growing, Kurapika starts very lightly hugging Y/n, preparing to flee.

...

"Now!"

Y/n is suddenly picked up and sprinted away into the woods.

Leorio, hesitantly walks back..

"This may not be my fight, but it's not my style to run away!" he shouts.

"Leorio!" Kurapika yells at him, still fleeing with Y/n.

They hear the action from a distance.

"..." Kurapika stops running, and waits for the sounds of fighting to stop, "I don't know how we'll get back."

"Oh, that's true," Y/n responds, "Maybe we should go back?"

"Yeah," Kurapika creeps back, holding onto Y/n tightly.

They see Gon being held by the throat, Kurapika's grip gets tighter.

"Y/n."

"Mm?"

"There's something I want to tell you. In case we don't make it out of here."