Part 4 - Cooking

It was dark. Quiet. The only noises are the sounds of water dripping from a pipe.

"Where am I?" Y/n whispers, but they aren't heard.

They look around, not being able to see anything in the blinding darkness. They only know that there's a concrete wall and a concrete ground. It's rough. They feel pain on both of their arms. Probably a scrape. They think they might be in an alley..

What happened..

They look around, searching for some kind of answer. Anything. They wanted to remember, no, they can't. If it was forgotten, it was probably bad.

Where were they even from? Where are they now? Yorknew, no, that can't be right. Y/n. That's their name. Y/n. But is it? What do they look like?

Theres a sharp pain on the back of their head accompanied by a loud noise. That is probably the source of their forgetfulness. But why? Why is their head hurting?

They were taught... it was best not to remember.

That name keeps common back. Hisoka. Did someone named Hisoka do something? They couldn't be sure.

Hisoka. Why is that name coming back? Why?

Where is it from to begin with?

They see a light. It's approaching. It quickly becomes blinding.

They're brought back to reality. But what just happened anyways?

"I wanted to tell you-"

Right as Kurapika was about to admit whatever he was going to say, there was that ominous voice.

"Oh my, what to we have here? #374... Tell me, what is your name?" the creepy #44 had come up to Kurapika and Y/n, but paid no attention to Kurapika. It was unsettling.

"Oh, me? I-I'm no one important, I.."

"I'd like to disagree," He holds a card up to Kurapika's neck, "you care for him, don't you? He's mysterious to you, confusing. You don't understand why.."

A shiver runs down their spine. They can also feel Kurapika getting tensed, from the threat. This man seems to know them perfectly.

"Well, I suppose I shouldn't budge. You both pass.~"

The man, contestant #44, then walks off with a beaten Leorio.

"Are you okay, Y/n? You look terrified," Kurapika questions, while giving them a look of concern.

"Oh, yep, don't worry," Y/n gives Kurapika a gentle smile as they continue to speak, "anyways.. Didn't you want to tell me something?"

"Oh," Kurapika mutters, "Sorry Y/n, I'll tell you later."

"Oh, you have your friend. Are they okay now?" Gon asks, approaching. The two, looking at Y/n quite curiously.

"Yes. They're alright. Let's go find the others," Kurapika replies

The three begin running through the woods. Gon says he's pretty sure he knows where the crowd is.

As they all arrive there, there's a strange rumbling noise coming through the door... rumble... rumble... what was it? A monster?

The doors opened to reveal a short woman and a giant, fat man.

Y/n feels kurapika put them down, and whisper, "can you make it by yourself now?" which Y/n, after taking a few steps, nods to.

"Thank you for the help, Kurapika."

"Oh, it's no problem. I wouldn't ever mind helping someone in need."

They both looked into each other's eyes for a long moment, before a woman, Menchi, begins speaking.

And just like that, Y/n was back on their feet. They paid, maybe half, attention to the lecture. Pork.. not too bad.

Everyone went to the forest. Y/n decided to follow Kurapika and his friends, because they didn't really have anyone else to depend on.

Together, they find out the pig's foreheads are their weak spots, and all return with pigs, which they all pass with.

Then the girl requests... sushi? Some sort of strange dish from a small island. Eventually #294 gives it away.

Y/n decides to lay low and figure it out on their own, but it turns out that nobody could fit Menchi's needs, so they all failed.

The concern on all the candidate's faces was clear. Something was wrong with this.

Then one of the men in the crowd, contestant #255, comes out, shouting, his face red and a vein on his forehead bulging, "you don't like our cooking? I'm here to become a hunter, a black-list hunter at that! Not a prissy gormet hunter!"

"Well, that sucks for you. Better luck next year, huh?"

Y/n tunes into a side conversation that Gon, Killua, Leorio, and Kurapika are having.

"I can't believe I failed! I really wanted to be a hunter..." Gon complains.

"Hey, there's always next year," Killua reminds.

"That's true, but.."

The conversation is abruptly ended by an old man who comes down from a hot air balloon.