Chapter 1 - Death, Come Quick

Everyone dies, and death was something Astoria Greengrass was familiar with- in fact, she was waiting for it to come and take her already.

"Have you seen such a letter before? For unity?" Ella Polarwright told her good friend in her Slytherin dorm room. She sat on a chair and tossed the letter to the side, while the said friend, Astoria Greengrass, read an exact copy of her own.

"...where there will be," she sat down on her own bed, "Practice dancing for the occasion? With others! I don't know if I like that."

"Well I'll tell you what I think right now, is that I don't like that. They never spouted such rubbish before, but everything's different now."

Astoria placed the letter on her bedside table and faced her friend. "Unity is rubbish?"

"They never mentioned such things like this before.. I know we've had dance practices in the hall before, but I don't know how to feel about it now. It feels like they're forcing us to forget about what happened so quickly."

"Come now," Astoria stood up in front of her friend, "don't think such things, it's best to move forward. I'm sure it will not be bad... just one lesson, and that's all.

Ella nodded and took a deep breath. "You're right. I will take my leave now, and I'll see you tomorrow morning at breakfast." Her friend shut the door carefully behind her.

Ella Polarwright and Astoria Greengrass had become friends since the fourth year, and ever since then have been inseparable. Ella was a Ravenclaw, who had blonde hair, and really big cheeks when she smiled. She was half-blood, not that it mattered anymore to Astoria than it still did to others, but she was very amiable, and a good friend to her.

Astoria did not share her dorm with anyone, since the fourth year, and quite liked it that way. She made her way to the bathroom and closed the door. In the mirror, she saw a weakened and tired girl. Her frail hands gripped the sink as she looked down at them.

"Is this what I'm turning into?" Said she, to herself. She was still very young, only 18, where others her age were jumping and running, she could never imagine doing anything of the sort anymore. There was no spell, no cure, no medicine, no antidote that could ever save her from her own family curse. She turned on the warm water and wrung her hands together comfortingly under it.

Today had been the first day back for the year, (No classes), although she hadn't done anything major, and had come back from her holidays, she felt more sick than usual.

Before bed, Astoria had taken some pain medication and had woken up a bit better. As she headed down to breakfast, she had bumped into Ella, who nudged her side in greeting as they hurried down to the hall. They sat next to her sister, Daphne Greengrass, who was only a year older, (She was now in the same year as her younger sister Astoria, where now the seventh year has become a bit more crowded).

"Good morning, I made your plate just before you came." Daphne smiled, sliding the plate to her sister. As always, Astoria was really grateful to her, as she didn't have to strain her hands anymore.

"Thank you, Daph." Said Astoria, as she started to eat quietly.

Ella started to smile, "You know, I am so glad we have almost the same schedule, except for one class, but no matter. I'm glad this will be how we spend our final year."

Daphne sighed. "Lucky, that you don't have to repeat it, Ella." Jokingly, she went back to her food.

"Anyway," Ella put her fork down and spoke quieter to Astoria. "It's our final year. Don't you know what this means? We're almost adults. Almost close to living like adults, working like them, and.." she leaned in, "maybe even close to marrying one!" She giggled.