Chapter 4 - The Plant

An hour after dinner, they were called back to the great hall again, all changed from their uniforms into their comfortable clothes, they waited until the headmistress arrived.

Ella hadn't come down yet, so Astoria stood by herself to the side. Since that dinner, she thought that it was the best she had eaten so far. She didn't feel sick— maybe it was because she had a new atmosphere, or the plant, or maybe it was telling off Malfoy that made her feel so good. Thinking of him, she looked up from her feet to find him, and she had caught him looking at her already. She quickly looked back to her feet, and Ella had arrived a moment later.

"Do you believe that Draco Malfoy? He is so intolerable, so unbearable! How is Theodore good friends with him? I can't believe what he had said to you. He doesn't even know you."

Astoria leaned back, against the wall. "We barely have talked these last few years— I wonder why he was mean."

Ella came closer and put a hand on her shoulder, "Don't you worry about him, Astoria. He's obviously miserable with himself. Thinking of him will make us just like him." Astoria nodded and straightened herself.

"I shouldn't think about it, you're right."

"You know, you look in good health today."

"Thanks, Ella. That makes me feel a bit better." They giggled together before they had been called off to the centre of the room to practice dancing.

That night in her bathroom, Astoria tried giving herself a big smile. She sighed, pulling up her sleeve to see the bruise on her elbow, and it was healing better today, but not amazingly. She walked into her room and sat on her bed, facing the plant that was given to her after dinner that was on her bedside table.

"You like talking, don't you?" She asked it— while also feeling a bit silly.

"Do.. you think tomorrow will be a good day? But you can't tell the future, you're just a plant, aren't you? — good night." She blew out her candle and slept.

That morning, she was sat with her group again, and had been eating toast.

"So Astoria, did you talk to the plant before bed?" Theo asked.

"I did," she smiled, "and I've been told I talk in my sleep, so that probably helps a bit more." Ella and Theo had laughed with her.

"I talk in my sleep too, so does Draco." Astoria had taken a look at him as he rolled his eyes at Theo.

Ella, finishing a bite of her food— said, "I hope it's not anything too negative, for that may not end well for our assignment." Astoria was surprised as she looked at Ella, who only gave a mocking smile, before looking back down at her food. Theo never replied and Draco most of all was taken aback— and didn't reply. 

Daphne had been down again, asking if Astoria needed help— and she had taken a peak at Draco to see if he had heard, but couldn't tell. She informed her sister she had already eaten enough, and she had left to her class. With having slept beside the plant last night, maybe it was that which made her feel so much better lately. Maybe it was because she had somebody to talk to or something else in her room to sleep beside since fourth year, she didn't feel so lonely.

A little over three weeks had passed, and Astoria and Ella had their dinners consistently with Draco and Theo, who were alright to get along with so far. Astoria had no important or notable interactions with Draco— who only glanced at her in secret every now and again.

Astoria and Ella walked back after dinner together, where one of them constantly chatted about Theo Nott.

"He's so charming! He took the plant even though it was your turn tonight. At the upcoming ball, I hope he asks me to it. I would love to be escorted by him! Are you counting on anyone to ask you?"