Chapter 6 - A Proposal

When they were called to gather with their partners, Astoria had slowly walked to the middle until Draco had found her, and they stood in position for the music to start.

"Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I feel like your health is better these days." Said he, a few moments after they had started the dance.

Astoria smiled just a little, "It is, but I don't want to get ahead of myself too much. I'm still sickly."

He cleared his throat quietly. He spun her around and she was back to him. Astoria had thought of asking him about Theo but didn't want to go down there at the moment.

All she could focus on and think about was how she was here right now, how and why had he asked her to dance? And why, just why did he have to be a wonderful dancer? But this wouldn't blind her of his horrible attitude-but she would remain civil and dignified.

With every turn, every touch, - every time their fingers intertwined, tightened, and loosened, and the look in his eyes was something she paid attention to very much. Astoria was never good at reading his expression, (because perhaps she didn't know him enough, or because he had given her a look no one else ever had before), but a look of what?

The dance had ended, and they bowed to one another. "You dance very well, Malfoy." She complimented quietly, avoiding his full gaze. Astoria had already begun to regret her thoughts before they had the chance to even fully form- she would not think nicely of Malfoy.

Before he could say any reply, Blaise had approached, asking for Astoria's hand to dance. One glance at Draco, she smiled, before she went off with him.

"Thank you for accepting, Astoria."

"Of course, Blaise. I'm sure you are an excellent dancer." He chuckled at that fact.

As they danced, he grew nervous to her. She smiled at the thought that she was about to say aloud, "if you regret asking me, you can leave now," she chuckled quietly at her joke.

He smiled, "Oh- No!" He assured her, that she was the most excellent dancer, and that he hadn't regretted asking her at all.

He frowned. "Astoria, I really would like to speak to you about something."

"What's wrong?"

"Well, I know the cause of Ella's worries, and I just feel really bad for it, as I was there when it happened."

Growing even more puzzled in the same night, she waited for further explanation as they danced.

"You know why Theo was leading Ella on?" Astoria asked quietly.

Blaise shook his head, "he never intended to lead her on, but, when one of his friends told him she didn't seem to be a good match for him, he seemed hesitant, but let go of the idea of her, since he values his friends' opinion a great deal on these sorts of matters."

Astoria, surprised, with her lips parted just a little, was aching to know more. She whispered, "Who told him that she was not a good match?" Blaise frowned for a moment as he looked away but looked back to her.

"It was Draco."

Astoria gasped quietly, automatically her eyes went to find him, who had been already looking at her- she looked away immediately.

"Because- because- why? Because she is a half-blood? Ravenclaw? Why, Blaise?" Astoria begged to know. He shook his head many times.

"He just said she was not a good fit. In front of me, anyway."

Astoria and Blaise had finished their dance, and with one bow, she immediately excused herself to leave. She sped to her room, shutting the door behind her as she tried to catch her breath.