Chapter 17 - Revelation

The ride back in the carriage was positively awkward, with Daphne not having a single thing to say to Astoria. Daphne knew by now that Astoria knew everything.

But that was fine, because Astoria didn't have any good thing to say to Daphne and would happily ignore her for the rest of her life. With what Astoria was going to reveal to her family soon, she guessed Daphne would be kicked out of the manor and outcasted.

As Daphne and Astoria entered the manor, they were greeted by no one, with the former immediately going to her room. The latter went to her room a bit later after searching for somebody but failing. She put the bouquet she received from Draco in her dusty vase and opened her suitcases- she knew she wouldn't stay here for long. She at least brought out her ink and parchment to place on her table in case she felt like writing a letter to Draco anytime tonight.

Astoria expected that her mother would be here for dinner, and decided to spend some time in the garden before she stayed in her room until then.

For dinner, Astoria made it an important point to arrive early. Even though it had been months since Daphne had talked to her or eaten with her, she did not want to take any chances.

Already, she took her place at the table, noticing at the head of the table there was a work book out with some ink. She thought for a moment, wondering if her father had actually been home, and then in he walked, taking his place.

"Father!" Astoria exclaimed quietly. "You're here."

He looked at her then back down to his book, "Well yes," he paused, "I am." And he continued to write. Astoria frowned a little- this was good though, so that she didn't have to tell the same tale twice. For once, all her family members were under one roof.

Daphne arrived, and then a few minutes later, in walked their mother and their little brother Cyrus, who all took their places. Astoria looked to Daphne a few times who only looked down at her plate.

"Daphne, Astoria!" Their mother smiled as she sat. "I'm so glad to see you two again."

The food arrived, and Astoria looked at her mother the first time that night, and her mother looked back at her with a face filled with utter confusion.

"New makeup?" She asked.

Astoria shook her head, her heart thumping against her chest, and her face starting to heat up.

Her mother shrugged, "I can't put my finger on it, but you look different darling." Astoria looked at her father who hadn't touched his food.

"Honestly Ashton, get those workbooks away and eat some dinner!" Her mother scolded him.

"Mary, who works at the Ministry and who doesn't?" He mumbled, finally slamming his books shut. Astoria flinched, looking down at her food. She played with it a little as she was wary.

"Something wrong with the dinner now?" Her mother huffed tiredly.

"No, of course not." Replied she, finally taking a few bites.

"So, what have you changed about yourself again? You never quite explained."

"Oh, nothing." Astoria mumbled.

Her mother sighed. "It seems that no one ever wants to have a conversation these days. All I want is a simple answer."

Their father sighed, "We're all tired, and I'm sure the girls are too."

"Daphne hasn't said a word, and all Astoria is doing is the mumbling thing again," Their mother scoffed. The parents started to go back and forth- Astoria made them background noise.