Chapter 8 - The Charity

It had since been three weeks since Astoria had travelled back to Hogwarts after the holidays were over.

When last year was a ball event, this new school session had now a new event; an old fashioned charity fundraiser, boys bidding on dates with girls- but instead, names had been written on a paper in each house's common room, instead of a showcase of girls, and the highest bidder of that person earned an outing with them- anything, and girls didn't know who their date would be, all they knew is that it was for a charitable cause. How did Astoria Greengrass know all this information? Because Ella Polarwright had not stopped talking and bugging her about it.

"Oh please!" She begged, "You must sign your name down! Anyone would bid for you, and I'd like to see you have some fun!" Before Astoria could even respond, Ella had started a coughing spree, but was fine after drinking some water.

"Please," she begged again, "I almost just died, then!"

"Ella I appreciate your words, but please, I don't want to do anything of the sort. Besides,
names aren't scarce, so many girls have signed their names already!"

To Astoria, her friend seemed that she was not going to let go of the idea for a while, but after Ella had started coughing again, she had relented and talked about other things.

Over the course of the three past weeks, Astoria couldn't shake off the feeling of paranoia from herself. Whenever she sat in class, she felt eyes on her, whenever she ate- again, but she was glad she could have solace in her room. Today, she had even caught Draco Malfoy looking at her, but it was a first time thing, so she brushed it off as just being accidental contact- besides, she knew he had wanted nothing to do with her after what she said to him last year.

As Ella hadn't been in her classes all day, Astoria visited her friend in her dorm, where she lay under her covers with a wet cloth over forehead, and dark eyes.

Astoria was shocked at the sight, "Ella! What has happened to you? You didn't look this sick yesterday!"

She sat up in her bed carefully with the help of Astoria. "It's not anything bad. I think I've caught it from my father- he is worse than me," she passed over a letter to Astoria, sent by her mother which told Ella of how ill her father had been the past week.

"Oh Ella," Astoria muttered quietly, "I'm trying to think if you ever went out in the cold in the holidays, or maybe you've caught something terrible, and so has your father."

"Don't worry, it's just a flu, I think. I've taken the necessary things, potions- but I'm much more worried about my dad." She sighed. "Anyway, what has been going on in classes? Have I missed much?"

Astoria sat down on the edge of her bed, shaking her head. "No, it's been quiet- besides the charity, everything seems to be fine."

"And you're not majorly sick like me, are you?"

"Just my normal symptoms."

Ella nodded, wringing her hands together.

"You look very nervous."

"Do I?" Said Ella. Her friend nodded.

"I put your name in the charity!" Astoria gasped and stood up.

"I'm removing my name immediately!"

"You can't," Ella pleaded, guilty.

"Why can't I? I will right now."

"The deadline is finished, besides, Trina Polyfax had removed her name after she decided she didn't want to commit to it anymore, and she got punished! I don't want you to get punished."

Astoria groaned, sitting back down on the bed. She bent over, massaging her hands together, and then her forehead. After a few long moments, Ella spoke.

"You're the highest anyone's bid for."

Astoria moved her head to the side to see Ella. She responded quietly, and tiredly, "Really?"

Ella nodded and smiled really widely. "I'm almost jealous," she admitted. "But I'm more happy for you."

Astoria chuckled, not believing herself for what she was about to say. "When's the date?"

"Two days, from now. You should be sent a letter or something, on where to meet." She shrugged, but overall, Ella couldn't contain her excitement, even if she was very sick.

Ella watched her friend stand up from the bed to lean against the wooden bed post. "Then, I await Prince Charming!" They laughed happily together after that, and Astoria had spent that whole afternoon with her friend, even if it was at the risk of getting more sick herself.

But two days later, Astoria was immediately regretting not taking the punishment instead- she badly wanted the punishment instead of this! She waited outside in the setting sky of 7 o'clock for whoever bid for her to arrive- for whatever evening they were even going to spend together. She wore casual, as the letter instructed, and opted for a long black skirt and a simple navy sweater.

She had absolutely wanted to pass away when she heard footsteps from a far, and only saw Malfoy emerge. She held her purse tightly, not intending to move out of his way- but he instead stopped in front of her.

She turned, and she walked further away, but not too far away so that whoever bid for her could still see her, but she noticed that Malfoy was following her. They had stopped under an entry way that led into the courtyard, under the arch.

After not talking to Draco for months, she wanted to keep it that way- but had to tell him to go away before she could go back to not speaking to him. "What do you think you're doing? I'm meeting someone here, so it's best if you leave me alone for today."

"You're waiting for the highest bidder?"

She took a deep breath. "Yes, so I would appreciate it if you just left, so that I can hold up my end of this charity deal." She turned away from him.

"I know that I'm the last person you want to see."

She sighed quietly, moving her head to the side to see him. He wore a serious expression, and an unnoticeable pout. "You're right."

He didn't mind her comment and continued. "But there's something important you should know about, before we decide to stop talking forever. So please, listen to what I have to say, if you could give me that."

She reluctantly turned to face him now, and she felt he was sincere, but time and time again she had proved to herself that she was a poor judge of character.

She looked around for any sign of her date, before she looked back at him. "Then say it quickly."