𝟎𝟕: 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐩 '𝐓𝐢𝐥 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐃𝐫𝐨𝐩

They walked back to town, with Sophie holding Aggie's hand.

"Is there going to be a costume party today, Grandma?" Sophie said, "Everybody's all dressed up."

"Well, this is the way we always dress, dear," Aggie explained. "The people who started your Halloween just imitated our traditions. Mortals see, Mortals do." She chuckled then said, "That's the way your mother ran into your father – by crashing a Halloween party."

Maisie laughed a little then frowned. Maybe they should've left a note for their mother. She would find out where they went eventually.  

"He liked her witch's costume," Aggie explained.

"Hello Aggie," a female ogre greeted, with a wave.

"Hello, Sadie," Aggie greeted back. 

Dylan was humming.

"What are you so happy about?" Marnie said, "I thought you didn't want to come."

Dylan replied, "I decided this was really a dream, so why worry?" Maisie reached over and pinched his arm. "Ow!"

Maisie asked him, "Is it a dream now?" 

"I like Halloweentown," Sophie said. "But why do you have to live so far away, Grandma?"

"Well, there was a time when humans and monsters and witches and vampires and the rest of us could be together. It was the Dark Times, that was a bad mix because humans feared us and tried to destroy us. So we did our best to make them miserable in return," Aggie explained. "But it was turning us evil, which we are not! So we decided to create our own world!" She gestured to the town. 

"Oh, kind of like when Maisie, Marnie, and I got seperate rooms," Dylan stated. Marnie smacked his arm, "Ow."

"Wimp," Maisie told him because there was no way that hurt.

"Precisely," Aggie said. "From that day on, we were able to settle down and have homes and children and jobs." She paused, spotting some friends, "And an excellent bowling league." She waved at them.

They turned down the street and came across an old movie theater. It looked like they won't being seeing a movie because it was 'CLOSED FOREVER' which really sucked.

"We get really good movies like It's a Wonderful Death," Aggie said.

Maisie guessed that it was the Halloweentown version of It's a Wonderful Life. "But it said it was closed."

Someone bumped into Aggie and there was a screeching sound. 

"Harriet," Aggie muttered. She spotted the mayor at the ice cream parlour, "The mayor..." They went across the street to the ice cream parlour when the mayor went inside.

"Mayor," Aggie called. "Calabar, could I speak to you for a moment?"

It looked like an abmoninable snowman was behind the counter.

"Of course," Calabar said. He spotted Sophie, "Well, hello again, Soapy."

"Sophie," the kids correct in unison.

"Sophie," Calabar said. "You know, I think I have an extra sundae...oh." He took out a chocolate sundae from the inside of his coat.

"Mmm, coat sundaes," Maisie muttered as they went to sit at a table together. She glanced at Calabar. "I don't trust him."

"Why not? He's nice," Marnie said in a distracted manner.

"He's being deceitful," Maisie said. "I can tell."

"I see some flying brooms," Marnie said, clearly not hearing Maisie at all.  "I'm going to check it out." She left the parlour.

"Buddy system," Maisie told Dylan. "Stay with Sophie."