The 'Date'

Sara spent our hour together giving me tips on how to subtly let Reynie know I like him. How to converse and flirt (ugh). And how to dress.

She spent a good thirty minutes digging through both our closets for something for me to wear. I complained loudly the whole time it wasn't a date so I didn't need to wear anything more special than my jeans and sweater.

Sara just looked at me like I was crazy then went back to listing the pros and cons of wearing pink.

Five o'clock didn't come soon enough.

"You know what? I have to go." I patted her on the shoulders. "Reynie will be waiting."

She quirked an eyebrow. "You promise to wear the outfit I picked?"

"Uh, sure..." I lied.

She giggled. "Okay! Tell me all  about it!" Then she pushed me out the door, shoving a fluffy purple dress into my arms.

***

"Hey Quinn!" Reynie greeted me at the door. 

"Hey," I waved. Despite my almost promise to Sara, I had worn my normal clothes. A relief, because so was Reynie.

"Come on in,"

I stepped inside, and slipped off my sneakers. "So, what's the plan?"

He grinned. "I ordered pizza, you wanna get started on the movie?"

"Sure," I shrugged and followed him into the family room. 

He grabbed the remote and the screen came to life. 

"What do you want to watch?"

"Captain America?"

"'Kay,"

A few clicks of the remote later we were settled on the couch, absorbed in the movie. The pizza came soon enough, and I dug in. Reynie ate less eagerly.

After that we had some ice cream and focused our attention on the movie.

For a moment, somewhere in the middle of the movie, our shoulders made the barest hint of contact. I felt my cheeks heat but didn't pull away. Reynie didn't seem to notice.

By the time the credits were rolling, our arms were pressed against each other's.

After that we watched Hulk but didn't move. At the end I was leaning against him and his arm was perched behind me.

Finally it was time to leave. The goodbyes were awkward, but when I got back home I was still smiling.