16 | Smile

You had been used to the silence during car rides.

Whether you're riding with your parents or with Satoru, you have rarely been bothered by the silence that accompanied the car ride. The studio where you and Satoru will be taking your wedding portrait is at Kyoto, the sacred land of Jujutsu. After half an hour of driving, the car stopped near the train station where you two will be taking the shinkansen to Kyoto.

Once the car stopped, Satoru was the first one to step outside the vehicle. You were taking off your seatbelt when your chauffeur stepped outside and opened the door to your side.

"Thank you," you said, inclining your head slightly.

"Have a safe trip, my lady," he said with a bow before going back to the car.

You walked towards Satoru who stood to the side and when you stopped beside him, he looked at you for a moment. You looked back at him, waiting for him to say something but all he said was a simple let's go before he started to walk.

It only takes two hours from Tokyo to Kyoto by train, as opposed to five hours by car. Still, when you thought those two hours would blur by, you thought wrong.

As you sit beside Satoru, from your peripheral vision, you can see him flipping over magazine pages, barely even looking at what's in the magazine. You were fine with the silence between you and Satoru in the car, but not so much now that you two are sitting in the train with strangers around. And you didn't know why the silence is now starting to bother you.

Your choice of answering him with silence earlier to prevent a possible argument has gone to bite you back and you're starting to give in.

You were about to say something when the food came and Satoru finally put the magazine down and started eating, like he didn't just had his breakfast and it hadn't been an hour since you two left the house.

"Slow down, the food is not going anywhere," you said without realizing it, considering the way Satoru's eating like he's just stuffing his mouth so he has a reason not to speak.

But upon hearing what you said, he stopped halfway from taking a spoonful of rice before putting it down and looking at you.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it to sound sarcastic." You moved closer to him and Satoru was as surprised as you are when he felt your thumb on the side of his lips. Your hand just happened to move instinctively when you saw the teriyaki sauce on the side of his lips and you had to wipe it off. "Don't eat too fast, it's not good for your stomach."