Eight

"Why did you not answer my call yesterday ?!" Sasuke almost jusmped back at Naruto's sudden outburst.

He had hardly stepped into the class. Two things surprised him. First, Naruto, for once, was not running through the corridors to reach the class before the bell rang and second, he had a black eye and a bandaged arm.

"What happened ?" asked Sasuke as he walked past Naruto to his seat.

" 'What happened' ? You should ask what did not happen !" Naruto yelled.

Sasuke grimaced at the pitch of his voice. Even the class had quietened down. Sasuke was pretty sure the entire school would be able to hear Naruto if he kept speaking that loudly.

"These guys, they were disturbing (Name)--"

"(Last Name) (Name) ?" Sasuke asked and his eyes widened as Naruto nodded.

"So, they were disturbing her. Kiba and Choji saw them and they kind off launched a full-on attack on them." continued Naruto.

"That still doesn't explain how you got all beaten up." said Sasuke while pointing at Naruto.

"Oh. I came there when I heard people were fighting and I even tried to stop them. But one of the guys punched me so I hit him back and, yeah. I joined the fight too." said Naruto with a grin.

Sasuke was rendered speechless. So much for trying to make peace. Knowing Naruto, Sasuke was certain that wherever there was a fight, Naruto was more or less involved in it.

"What were the guys doing ?" asked Sasuke.

"From what I heard, one of them was forcing (Name) to date him and the others were just backing him." said Naruto.

Sasuke frowned. "Who were they ?" he asked.

"I don't know. They were from a different class. But they are taken care of, so don't you worry." said Naruto with a big grin.

"Who the hell is worrying ?" mumbled Sasuke.

"Well, (Name) is cute so it's not surprising that she has secret admirers." said Naruto, with a blush forming on his face.

"Don't you like Sakura ?" asked Sasuke before Naruto started drooling over (Name).

"Ahem. Of course, I do. But (Name)'s different." said Naruto. "She's pretty and nice too. But she's kind of off limits as they say that all she cares about are her studies."

"Hn." said Sasuke.

(Name) was giving him a really hard time. In all the other schools he had been in before, it was always him who was the top at everything. But ever since he enrolled in the same school as (Name)'s, she had been jeopardizing his position everywhere. First, it was during the exams. Then, the whole school drools over her instead.

But he didn't remember asking any guys to do anything.

That day, even during the break, all Sasuke heard was about (Name). Kiba, who was far more beat up than Naruto, kept talking about how he scared the guys away without breaking a sweat. Sasuke sighed and tried to shut out all their noises.

"But (Name) looked so scared. " said Naruto.

"I can't forget that sweet look she gave me when she thanked me." said Kiba, and Sasuke swore he could see the red hearts in his eyes.

"You mean when she thanked me, right ?" said Naruto with a sarcastic grin on his face.

"We all know that you were shitting your pants when you saw those guys." said Kiba.

"That sounds more like yourself." said Naruto, standing up from his place.

"Are you looking for a fight ?" said Kiba, standing up himself.

"Guys, guys, chill. " said Choji, putting a hand on either's shoulders and holding them apart.

Kiba exhaled heavily and walked a few steps away. Naruto glared at him, and did the same in the opposite direction.

Neji walked up to the guys with a smirk on his face.

"Guess who just smiled at me ?" he said.

"No way." said Naruto, looking at him.

"Stop lying." said Kiba as he walked up to him.

Neji said nothing but just pointed behind him. Sure enough, there was (Name), near where Neji had just come from.

"That is so unfair !" whined Naruto.

Shikamaru groaned and covered his ears with his hands.

"I don't see what's all the fuss about." he said.

"I know, right ?" Sasuke mumbled as he watched the guys bickering over who (Name) pays attention to the most.

It was neither, to be honest, but Sasuke kept quiet to not make things noisier than they were. It was all because the girls had not come there yet. Only then would they stop "fan-boying" over (Name).

Sasuke looked behind them at (Name) who was only passing through the corridor. Knowing her, she was probably running one last errand for a teacher before she went for lunch.

Ino and Sakura were walking from the opposite direction, chattering very excitedly about something. Ino bumped shoulders with (Name). It was not too hard, because (Name) only stumbled a little. She stopped and looked back at them, as if she was expecting something. But they both continued walking as if nothing happened.

(Name) only sighed and as she was about to continue walking, her eyes met Sasuke's. He immediately looked away. Although there was brief distance between them, (Name) was sure he was looking at her.

She gave him one final look and then continued walking.