12. Marrying the crown prince, and Hua Cheng feels on the edge

The 8th day of the 8th lunar month was chosen as the auspicious day when the marriage should take place, a little more than one month ahead! In the meantime, Hua Cheng took Crimson Rain and its crew to Haikou, in Hainam, to commission the wedding robes: he paid in gold, so no questions asked about two male robes with motifs of butterflies and flowers.

He wanted to take the prince for the measurements, and also to give him a taste of the Mortal Realm, but, after their feelings were revealed, the Guoshi only allowed them to meet under his vigilant gaze. So Hua Cheng went alone, also to find He Xuan and get him to return to XianLe with his fleet, bringing the gold for the pre-nuptial contract.

"I can't believe they had agreed on fifty thousand, and you had to go and offer a hundred thousand like it's nothing", He Xuan commented, shaking his head in astonishment.

Hua Cheng clicked his tongue: it wasn't worth explaining that, not caring the least about money just proved his intentions of marrying the prince as purely out of love: it was ascending to the skies with a single leap! But He Xuan was a frog in a well, with limited views. That's why he owed money to everybody, including to Hua Cheng himself.

Most XianLe's officials were beyond busy with all the ceremonial and etiquette required for a magnificent banquet on the occasion of their crown prince's wedding! The whole kingdom fell into a frenzy, with the aquatic demons preparing for their own celebrations, with special food and drinks, music and dance. Capital City was wholly decorated with lanterns: it was a joyful occasion.

On the appointed day, there were two grand processions, with much music and magical firecrackers, following sedans chairs – they couldn't really call them bridal – around XianLe Capital City: Hua Cheng leaving from Crimson Rain, and His Highness from the palace. Both sedans met at the Temple of the Sea Dragon God, where the ceremony was held.

Dressed in their wedding robes, red with exquisite embroidery, they entered the temple, walking side by side slowly, threading on a red carpet; with all XianLe's highest officials and dignitaries bearing witness, as per the Mortal Realm's traditions, they kowtowed three times: to the heavens, their ancestors and to each other.

As soon as they left the temple, big cheers exploded from the crowd of aquatic demons surrounding the building, and more music and firecrackers went on. Hua Cheng climbed into the crown prince's sedan as he was the one marrying into the Royal Family of XianLe – the bride.

They set off slowly in an even grander procession, holding hands inside the sedan and waving to the crowds of well-wishers outside; at the underwater palace, a grand banquet would be held, while the commoners would eat and drink to their heart's content, celebrating this auspicious day for their beloved prince, for XianLe!

At the palace, they left the sedan on a ceremonial walk, side by side, arm hovering on arm, their hands barely touching, and went to the grand hall; it was all decorated in bright red lanterns, the low tables covered in even more luxurious delicacies and tableware. The officials and dignitaries were flocking in, with a slow, sensuous music already being played.

Hua Cheng saw He Xuan, dressed in black from head to toe, standing by a column and smiling in quiet expectation; excusing himself, he went to have a word with him.

"Ahoy ahoy Hua Cheng", he greeted, giving him a once-over, "You look damn happy", he observed.

"I just got married, should I not look happy?", he replied in annoyance, stressing the word to show he was playing his part well, and what did it have to do with anything anyway?

Still smiling, He Xuan looked at the crown prince being surrounded and exchanging greetings, and commented casually, "You should be, well look at your bride! Stunning. Now I'm thinking it's an idea to try my hand at seducing him at some point... build an adultery case, how good is that?"

Hua Cheng's expression hardened at once, "You're tired of living, or you really don't know the immensity of Heaven and earth. Mind your own business and stay away from him, hear me?"

He Xuan laughed, "Alright alright! I didn't know you were so jealous and possessive, that's interesting", he breathed in as if it was hard to stop laughing. Then he smiled again and said, "Well then. Remember you have to consummate this wedding tonight. Cheers, Hua Cheng".

More than happy seeing him walking away, Hua Cheng went back to the crown prince's side, and took his share of accepting greetings and good wishes, and, after a while, it was the time for the royal couple to go and sit at the high table and preside the banquet. They both looked amazing sitting side by side, truly two new deities being worshipped.

Hua Cheng couldn't help stealing glances at the crown prince, in a very different way than when he first sat at the royal table: His Highness still looked stunning, but this time with ceremonial wedding robes on, his body was fully dressed, leaving a lot to the imagination. For some reason this kept arousing Hua Cheng even more, going as far as making him a little nervous.

Well, if you ride a tiger, it's hard to get off, he thought, and kept pouring wine to the crown prince, who always thanked him politely, with a smile and a light nod. Then Hua Cheng thought of He Xuan: remember you have to consummate this wedding tonight, and felt even more on the edge.

He cleared his throat, "Say Gege, does XianLe have any kind of tradition of a royal wedding having to be consummated?", he asked, realising it sounded bad: it was like he didn't want to! He hurriedly added, "I mean, like officials being on a side-chamber to hear everything and confirm it happened?"

It was an awkward question, but the prince just looked puzzled, "No, why? The matters of undressing and what comes after are private, concerning only the ones involved – "

The red robes brought up his colours, making his already beautiful golden eyes even more alluring, his cheeks a soft peachy colour, his golden-brown hair tied up neatly, but what amazed Hua Cheng the most was the prince's poise. He looked so calm and collected, as if he was mighty confident on their feelings for each other.

"I, hum", Hua Cheng replied, not being his usual articulate, "I can't wait to be alone with Gege".

The prince smiled and put his hand over Hua Cheng's, saying, "We can retire any time you wish".

Hua Cheng smiled back and downed his wine, feeling slightly more relaxed.

Well well well they got married! I hope you're enjoying it so far – let me know in the comments session. ✨✨✨

Thank you for reading, and don't forget to vote...

Updates to this fic on Thursdays and Sundays.