Broken Machines

Mumbo Jumbo was a very busy person.

He always had something that he would be busy working on, whether it was drafting blueprints for a new redstone contraption or helping a fellow hermit with their farm.

But recently, he found that things had become a bit dull. His original excitement and passion for redstone and farms and machines was beginning to dim, leaving him wanting for something new. He was finding it harder and harder to stay entertained, and honestly, he’d begun to feel more.. lonely.

And sure, Mumbo did have friends on the server, but they were always busy, and if there was one thing Mumbo Jumbo wasn't, it was a bother.

That paired with the fact that Mumbo hardly liked going outside anytime before the afternoon and usually spent his mornings sleeping in, he really just didn't have much to be excited over.

So when a new player was introduced to the server, Mumbo was definitely intrigued, to say the least. He had seen them fly with incredible skill, which made the newcomer all the more fascinating, considering it was said that he'd never even picked up an elytra before. 

And when this new player, Grian, showed up to Mumbo's base one afternoon, searching for something to do, Mumbo was all too thrilled to finally have someone new, as well as interesting, to talk to.

Now, Grian and Mumbo had met a couple times prior, but their interactions had been nothing short of glances in passing. Although, both of them felt a strange… connection to one another, one that convinced them both that they would take a liking to each other almost immediately.

And it was this certainty that drove Grian to seek Mumbo out in the first place. A small voice in his mind whispered of the promises of connection and kinship, and it had grown loud enough for Grian to finally do the unthinkable and take the chance.

Besides, Grian was beginning to feel exhausted by his current friendships. As much as Grian loved Scar, there were only so many Disney movies the two of them could watch before Grian was convinced that the song Let it Go was going to carve a snowflake-shaped hole in his brain.

And now, Grian was filled with a nervous excitement at being taken on a tour of Mumbo’s base, and Mumbo was practically ecstatic to be giving one.

The tour had begun with an awkward greeting from the both of them, but any nervousness held by either party quickly melted away as they engaged in comfortable conversation. In fact, Mumbo found it remarkable how his normal social anxiety seemed nonexistent, being combated by just how enjoyable found Grian's company.

As the two of them approached a large door, Mumbo paused and turned to Grian. “Alright, now just be careful since there’s going to be a lot of complex machinery,” he warned. Grian nodded in response. "I will be very careful," he said, raising a hand up in a salute. Mumbo narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

Grian sighed dramatically. "Fine, I will for real." Mumbo took this as enough evidence and nodded. "Alright, here we go!"

Mumbo grasped a lever next to the door, pausing dramatically before pulling it. This motion triggered a symphony of various clicks and whirls behind the wall. Grian’s eyes widened in awe and his mouth hung open slightly in awe as the large vault door before them swung open.

“Woah,” Grian said in a stunned whisper. Inside the vault were several large and very complicated looking machines. Inside, Grian felt the strangest temptation to mess with every single one of them, but he ignored it and instead turned his attention to a very proud looking Mumbo.

“Heh, thanks,” Mumbo replied with an amused chuckle. He entered into the vault with Grian trailing just behind him. Gradually, Mumbo took Grian around to observe the many large redstone contraptions before them, and gave his idea of a brief description for each of them, although Grian hardly understood any of them.