The Goat and The Newcomer

Doc was not the kind of Player who trusted people easily. In fact, he lived with the mindset that no one was trustworthy until proven to be.

So, you can imagine the startling surprise and immediate suspicion he felt when a strange boy suddenly arrived on the server one day.

Doc found everything about Grian’s arrival suspicious, to say the least. After all, he’d arrived in the dead of night after being found in the forest, of all places, and  he'd hardly spoken to anybody but Scar and on occasion Cleo or Xisuma. Nobody knew anything about where he was from or who he knew. Grian was a mystery.

And Doc wasn’t the kind of person who trusted a mystery.

And Grian was made very aware of this from the moment he met Doc. Grian could sense his suspicion and distrust from a mile away. And it should be noted that Grian was just as distrustful of Doc as Doc was of him, although for different reasons.

After his flying escapade a week prior, most of the hermits quickly found themselves interested in Grian. He seemed interesting and friendly, although incredibly shy.

And although he was hesitant at first, Grian did begin to befriend the other hermits on the server. Along with Scar and Cleo, who he’d already spoken with, Grian was also growing close to Mumbo Jumbo, one of the talented redstone engineers that resided on Hermitcraft.

Grian was slow to trust any of the hermits, but he was, admittedly, beginning to find their company as enjoyable as they found his. Doc, however, was a wildly different story.

To say that Grian was wary of Doc was an outrageous understatement. He was, in fact, absolutely, incredibly, TREMENDOUSLY AND UTTERLY TERRIFIED of the man.

And who could blame him? With his towering height, short temper, and literal half-cyborg exterior, DocM wasn’t exactly a person you would imagine to be caring. Doc was an incredibly intimidating figure, so much so that Grian was convinced that the Ender Dragon herself would bow in submission if Doc stormed into the end in a bad mood.

And Grian was feeling the weight of Doc's suspicions heavily. Every time he was anywhere in Doc’s eyeline, he could feel the Hybrid's eyes practically burning into his skull. In fact, it had come to the point where Grian simply ran and hid at Scar’s base any time Doc was near.

Grian himself felt he had every reason to be terrified. After all, he was a Watcher. He knew that he would be seen as a threat to the server if anyone found out. He himself felt that he was a threat to the server. And he knew that if anyone found out, chances are he would be exiled immediately, and that was the best case scenario. And some, slightly selfish part of Grian was desperate to keep his new life here. He so badly wanted to be more than just a ghost or a stray breeze. He wanted somewhere to stay connected to.

But with Doc watching him as closely as he did, Grian felt his days were very numbered. And something inside told him that Doc wouldn’t be content with just exiling Grian from the server.

Xisuma, along with a few other Hermits, had taken notice of Grian’s flightiness around Doc. In fact, Xisuma found it was incredibly reminiscent of how Grian had behaved when he had first met him. Because of this, Xisuma took it upon himself to try and make things more comfortable for Grian by speaking with Doc directly.

Xisuma met with Doc at the very same cliffside where he and Grian had stood the week prior for their flight lesson. Both of them stood quietly, looking down at the rest of the server. After a moment, the silence was broken by X.

“Doc,” he spoke somewhat quietly, but there was a sternness in his tone that made his intentions evident. Doc crossed his arms and huffed stubbornly in reply.