one

ROWAN

"Rowan, will you please please please come with us?" My cousin Isabel pleaded through the FaceTime call. I swear I didn't even have one second to say hello to her before she instantly started begging.

My Aunt Laurel's best friend has a beach house over in Cousins. Laurel, Belly, and Steven go every summer to visit and stay with the Fisher's. Belly describes Cousins, more specifically the beach house, as the most magical place on earth. When we were seven, she had me convinced it was magical because of the salty air, but at the ripe age of sixteen, I knew it was because of the boys.

"Sorry Bells, I have summer volleyball camp. I literally leave in 15 minutes." Belly was on speakerphone as I was wrapping up packing for the next month. Belly and I both have bonded over our love for the sport of volleyball. For the past five summers, I have been attending the same volleyball camp which is located in the opposite direction of Cousins. This year will be my first year helping out the younger students which I have been waiting for since I was their age. For a whole month, girls ages 12-18 travel to this volleyball camp to not only better themselves as an athlete, but to also bond and learn the importance of a team. It's hands down the highlight of my year every year.

I've invited Belly to come before, but she can never pass down her summer tradition. That is why I refuse to pass up mine.

"Rowww!" She groans loudly which makes me chuckle. I begin to press down hard onto the top of my suitcase so it closes tighter together. "I just want you to experience one magical summer."

I roll my eyes at her comment even though she can't see me at the moment. "Salty air does not equal magical." This time I groaned, but only out of frustration because my suitcase was refusing to zip.

"It totally does. Not to mention, every morning you wake up and there's usually fresh muffins waiting for you to shove down your throat." Belly loved her sugar and so did I.

"Key word, usually." My zipper finally budges and I'm able to successfully close my suitcase. I let out a deep huff out of exhaustion. Why is closing a suitcase so difficult?

"And there's boys! So many cute boys."

I knew in her head she was only thinking of Conrad. I've never met him nor his brother Jeremiah, but I have heard countless stories about the two. Especially her undying love for Conrad since we were ten.

"What boys? You don't even go out when you're there." I knew this for a fact because Belly didn't go out much around here. And, there is no way Steven would let her tag along with him. He would be engaging in social suicide if he was seen hanging out with his little sister. He would consider it social suicide if I was even seen hanging around him as well.

Belly huffs this time. I can tell she's annoyed. "Yes, I do! Maybe not to parties, but I've seen plenty of hot boys around town while shopping with my mom and Susannah." She pauses. "You know, it wouldn't hurt you to skip volleyball camp this summer. Cousins would be the perfect opportunity for you to move on from Jace."

My breath hitched just at the mention of his name. I felt my hands start to clam up as I reached for my suitcase handle. "Bells, I have to go, I leave like now. I really hope you have the most amazing summer. I love you and I can't wait to see you when you get back." This conversation needed to end. I couldn't be thinking of him now.

"I wish for once you'd want to do something I would like to do." She said sadly instead of saying goodbye.

Belly and I are practically the same age. I am three months older than her, but for some reason, I always act like I am five years older.