fourteen (part 1)

ROWAN

Fourth of July.

I can't believe it's July already. It feels like yesterday we had just arrived in Cousins, but it's really been over a month.

It's three days now since Conrad and I spoke by the pool and made our promise. Neither of us has acted on our feelings yet. Well, I haven't had a chance to since Jeremiah has still been actively avoiding me.

After our small talk in the bathroom the other day, he has continued to repeat the same pattern. I hate it. He's driving me insane. I'm so used to being bitched at, over and over again, but Jeremiah barely did so. He walked away before things got worse. And I wonder if they would have if he didn't or if that really is the worst he can get.

Surprisingly, these past three days have been easier, other than what happened a few days ago. Talking to Conrad really opened my eyes more. Don't get me wrong, Susannah broke me open, in the best way, and Conrad understood me, in the best way. It felt nice to have an outsider's perspective on my emotions. Someone who's not family and who has actively watched me struggle.

Today I'm making sure that Jeremiah will not walk away from me and listen to everything I have to say. It sounds selfish, but if I don't force all this on him, I will be doing both of us an injustice.

Right now, all of us stood between the kitchen and living room waiting for my Uncle John to come, Belly and Steven's dad, with his new young girlfriend, Victoria. Belly and Steven haven't met her yet.

Unfortunately, for me, I have to give up my room for the night so John and Victoria have a bed to sleep in. I have already changed the sheets for them and I will for sure change them once again once they leave tomorrow.

Laurel spots John and Victoria from the window and heads to the door to greet them. I tag along behind Belly, and Steven, and Jeremiah also follows us as well.

I'm surprised he even wants to be in the same vicinity as me.

I catch a glimpse of Victoria who is already introducing herself to Laurel. My eyes widen a bit, shocked at how young and pretty she is. I knew she was young, but not that young.

"She's hot." I hear Jeremiah whisper to Steven. I want to turn around and slap him, but I don't. If we were on better terms, I definitely would have slapped his arm.

"Dude." Steven shutters.

"I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking." Jeremiah says matter-of-factly.

I roll my eyes, even though my back is facing them.

Belly and Steven go to hug John who then introduces Victoria to them. She seems really nice, nothing like Laurel though. Yes, she looks young, but you can tell she is by the way she talks and how she acts.

I guess whatever makes Uncle John happy.

"And look who we have here!" John smiles towards me and I smile back at him.

"Hi, Uncle John." I laugh, giving him a quick hug. I haven't seen him much this past year due to his and Laurel's split.

"I heard about what happened with the volleyball camp, I'm so sorry to hear that." He sighed, knowing how much that camp means to me.

I shrug my shoulders. "It's whatever, I'm having a wonderful time here."

And I am having a great time. Despite the overwhelming amount of drama I have created between Jeremiah and me. At least the first month was amazing.

He introduces me to Victoria before everyone heads into the kitchen to get settled.

I stand awkwardly to the side as everyone is conversing. I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing at the moment. I already offered to help Susannah, but of course, she refused and said I should be having fun.